Why are Ford Explorers so easily "given up" on? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why are Ford Explorers so easily "given up" on?

NeuroResid

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey, guys. Just an observation, but it seems like Ford Explorers are quick to be disposed of by their owners if something is wrong with it, albeit even minor. Although I have no data, the local salvage yard(s) seemed littered with Ford Explorers! Why is this? They are reasonably cheap to repair, the parts are readily available, and they're pretty sharp when kept clean.

Did I miss a revolution against Explorers? Granted my other car is a newer luxury vehicle, don't people realize the value of a reliable second vehicle, or primary vehicle for that matter?

My wife and I own two cars, both paid off in full. Don't people realize how much cheaper it is to take care of what you have and build a long term relationship with a vehicle?

Lastly, haven't you noticed how ALL new car commercials these days advertise monthly payments for a new vehicle under lease terms? Oh, wow, that new _______ :fill in the blank: is only $379 a month for 24 months . . . Yeah, but how much to finance/purchase in full? Oh wait, cars these days are too expensive for the average joe.

Sorry for the Saturday rant. :usa:

-K.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A big part of the problem is insurance companies will not fix a vehicle if it is ten years old or older. They would rather total it and get it off the road and I agree it is crazy how many Explorers are in the junk yards but that means more parts for me to pick.

I think most folks are tired of them. They hold no "status" value.

However, my 2400.00 mountaineer was hit with hail, the insurance co valued it at 6000 and cut me a check for 2400 without batting an eye, or, totaling it. I was shocked, but happy about it. :)

The local pick'n'pull I go to always has a good supply of Explorers, many of which often don't look that badly damaged. There are still A LOT of Explorers on the streets of Des Moines, too. There are several on craigslist every day. Maybe the supply at the salvage yard is related to how many there are. Years ago, one of my brothers said he'd never buy a Ranger because there were so many on the used car lots. He figured they were being traded because of some inherent problems. I said there was bound to be a lot of used ones for sale because Ford sold so many.

My 17 yr old drives an '02 Sable that we paid $3200 for in Aug. I thought we borderline overpaid, but it only had 112,500 miles and had some recent work done. Six weeks later, someone merged into her right front on the freeway. State Farm offered $4300 to total the car, or we could take $3750 and keep the car. We kept it as she had been driving it since the accident despite the damage. I got a mirror and managed to get a headlight back in it and she hasn't missed a mile. I think most people don't realize they have options when the insurance companies "total" their cars.

I wondered the same thing before. There are perfectly good Explorer in the scrap yard here.
In fact, there's this nice black Limited that I would love to have, but I have no idea why it's there. Not crashed, 300,000 KM and it looks great.

It's somewhat sad.. But it did donate quite a few things to me. :D

I honestly don't get it, I've been to the local yard a lot, there's a ton of 98 EB, most need batteries or simple ****, I've driven some of them even, shows how much people care. I think a lot of the problem is that people don't care about them, they just want the new **** to hold a status with, and most people don't keep them. I hope to get a Ex next year, I love them, most of the parts are really super cheap

Cant speak of the newer models, but most of the 1st and 2nd gens here are in the salvage yard with bad transmissions. Old Ex's have a very low resale value even in good shape... so when the time comes to spend $1500-2000 for a transmission to go in your stock Explorer that's worth maybe $1000-1500... well, you get the point.

They are a top seller.

Any car with high sales numbers end up hog'n space in the bone yards.

Don't forget "We" are car guys. We get it.

For most people cars are just tools, like their owners.

If you don't know how to repair your computer yourself and the repair costs are to high you ditch it and get a new one right?

They are a top seller.

Any car with high sales numbers end up hog'n space in the bone yards.

Don't forget "We" are car guys. We get it.

For most people cars are just tools, like their owners.

If you don't know how to repair your computer yourself and the repair costs are to high you ditch it and get a new one right?

Exactly.

Food for thought.

Ford sold 700k or more f150s from the years 2000-present. Some of these years during the start of the recession are a little less but it is around that.

The explorer in those years sold around 400k

So think about it. They sold half as many explorers as the BEST SELLING TRUCK IN AMERICA. Because of this there a just toss of them everywhere it is a matter of math. They sold less Durangos, jeep grand Cherokee and trail Blazers pretty much combined. They are around 500k a year combined.

I found a lot his info on a site that I would link to but I forgot the link. My numbers may not all be exact but the point is a ton of explorers have been sold!

I got to the local salvage yard this week just as they were unloading a 2nd Gen Ex off a flatbed. They drove it off the hauler in the parking lot. They drove it through the gate into the yard just a few feet in front of me. It sounded fine. It had rusty rocker panels, but nice wheels and 4 really good tires, although 1 didn't match the other 3. No obvious reason to scrap it, but then I just scrapped my '94 Ex and could have driven it in, maybe even to, the salvage yard. Mine started and ran fine, but along with numerous issues one could live with, the fan completely came apart the last time my wife drove it. It overheated and stalled when she got stopped in traffic. Her dad got it restarted and drove it to a shop. I had no intention of spending any $$ on it due to the other problems. When I picked it up the mechanic told me not fixing it was the right call. He said the engine had a burnt smell and he didn't think it would last long. Not all problems are blatantly evident.

A dime a dozen. And when you can go buy another Ex for what a trans or engine replacement is for one...well, a lot of people don't bother to fix them.

When I see one in the junkyards they are usually high mileage, 175-200k+. Except for when cash for clunkers was around.

I'm sure that a lot of Explorers in the salvage yards that look fine, actually have blown engines due to the cash for clunkers mandate (a crime in my opinion).

They are cheap for us (the enthusiasts and gearheads) to repair, but basic things can be much more expensive for the average person who is at the mercy of the dealer or repair shop. When a vehicle gets old, many people don't want to put money into even minor repairs. A vehicle that is not maintained quickly develops other problems, at which point the owner trades or junks it. Sadly, we live in a disposable society.

On the other hand, enthusiasts like to keep their machines running. Maybe it's a hobby; maybe a matter of pride; maybe it's just a guy thing. Maybe some of us get attached to them, seeing more than a mere tool or conveyance, but perhaps a symbol of mobility, freedom, individualism, whatever. A cowboy doesn't shoot his faithful horse just because it needs new shoes or a new saddle.

Bwana Bob

The explorers I find in the junkyard that aren't flipped or smashed in some degree, I figure crapped a transmission or head gasket (1st gens) or popped a timing chain or head gasket (SOHC 2nd gens).

I have found many gen 2 5.0 trucks that I can't find anything wrong with them living in junkyards.

I can understand scrapping a truck when the auto trans takes a dump on the 1st gen or even when the head gasket goes on a SOHC gen 2, but the v8 trucks I don't understand scrapping them.

Around this area, I seem to notice a lot of 3rd gens still on the road, and to a slightly lesser extent, the second gens. 4th gens too.

Really don't see a whole lot of 1st gens anymore, and haven't noticed many of the newer ones (maybe cuz I'm in denial that the new ones are a "real" Explorer? lol).

Yes, the first and second generation are disappearing. I see mostly the third gen and the present design. Rust and wear and tear takes its toll. One might make the argument that the design is just plain obsolete. Also, truck-based SUVs are politically incorrect. Look at what Jeep did to the Cherokee!

I still have my 92 XLT, with 244,000 miles. My daily driver is a 2010 Focus, but the Explorer is my heavy hauler, snow machine, and general doomsday vehicle.
I recently had the clutch and slave cylinder replaced. (Bad slave cylinder = no shift). It's now shifting great.

I recently used it to pick up some lumber. The young guy at the lumber year who helped me load up happened to be a 4X4 enthusiast and he went nuts when he saw my Explorer. He went doubly nuts when I told him it had a manual transmission. ("If you ever want to sell it...")

Sorry, I can't get excited about the present Explorer. To me it's a rebadged Taurus wagon. I'd like to go into a dealer, show him my 1st gen XLT and say, "I'd buy a new one if I could get it similarly equipped." Aside from the aftermarket brush guard, fog lamps and roof cross bars, I'd show him the manual transmission and the 2-speed transfer case, and say, "Match this." I wouldn't really do that. It would be just too rude!

Bob

Most of the ones I see at the pick n' pull look okay but probably were in an accident or sat for too long. Oddly I see more 1st Gens on the road than at Pick N' Pull, I've had to resort to Rangers for parts as there are more of them with parts that fit a 93' Explorer than Explorers. Most of the Explorers at Pick N' Pull are 2nd Gens, I'm willing to bet they were spoiled teenager rides prior, and a good few were in accidents.

I think all the 1st Gens moved to Washington State - on the way to work in Redmond in the past couple of days, I've seen a Red XLT, a White XLT, a Red 91' Sport, that Maroon Sport from a few years back that had what sounded like a rod knock, a Green Eddie, a blue XLT, another white 93 Sport like mine, and a very clean Black Eddie or XLT. That's a big number for a truck that's over 20 years old. I'm not even looking for them either.

I also hate the new ones. Ford needs to realize some of us want a small, reliable, simple, easy to maneuver light truck or SUV with truck capabilities. My 1993 Sport has been the epitome of that, the only thing in recent vintage that comes close that I can find is a 4 year old Ranger or a shortbox single cab Toyota Tacoma.

I also hate the new ones. Ford needs to realize some of us want a small, reliable, simple, easy to maneuver light truck or SUV with truck capabilities. My 1993 Sport has been the epitome of that, the only thing in recent vintage that comes close that I can find is a 4 year old Ranger or a shortbox single cab Toyota Tacoma.

I always liked the sport model. I'm on my 3rd 1st gen and it's the body style I prefer. If I had to pick a 2nd gen it would be the 99-01 V8 Limited.

I think I know where the latest explorer got its styling cues. Look at the latest range rover. It is pretty close to close in design.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I still see a lot of first gens around. I don't know why people give up on them, aside from age. They are easy to fix. I love mine, and don't mind putting some work into it. Newer SUV's don't seem like SUV's at all to me. The new Jeep? Ew. New Explorers? It doesn't look anything like what I would expect (or buy).

As for the pricey things, like transmissions, can't say for sure, as it hasn't happened, but I would rather spend a grand on my first gen Explorer than buy a new car I like less. I have leather, auto headlights, power everything, and a nice (aftermarket) stereo. Can I get a decent newer vehicle with all that for the cost of a transmission? Hell no. Especially if we are talking about an SUV.

I like what I have. Scrapping it for some new piece of crap that won't last half as long is a tough sell for me.

Back