Clunk noise coming from the front end only when turning left | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clunk noise coming from the front end only when turning left

roboman

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger 4.0L FX4
Hey all, Ive got a weird issue going on with my 2003 4.0L 4x4 Ranger. Two days ago I started noticing that when turning left, no matter what the speed or turning radius, there was a consistent clunk that happened once per tire revolution. The only thing I've ever worked on with the front end before was replacing a sway bar end link, so I have no idea how to tell if it's something like a CV joint, ball joint, tie rod end, etc. I did do the 9/3 and 12/6 check with each front wheel jacked up; the driver side didn't have any play to it but the passenger side sure did no matter where I put my hands to work it around. I still don't know if that narrows it down to anything or not. Any suggestions?

Update: I took the passenger wheel off to see if I could get a better look at what might be causing all the play. That seems like it might be a wheel bearing, BUT I also found that the upper ball joint boot tore along a top seam which I didn't notice until I moved it around with my fingers. The grease inside has a little bit of sand in it and looks old and cracked. This is something that obviously needs to be fixed but would it be causing that consistent thud/clunk once per wheel revolution?

Update: I took the passenger wheel off to see if I could get a better look at what might be causing all the play. That seems like it might be a wheel bearing, BUT I also found that the upper ball joint boot tore along a top seam which I didn't notice until I moved it around with my fingers. The grease inside has a little bit of sand in it and looks old and cracked. This is something that obviously needs to be fixed but would it be causing that consistent thud/clunk once per wheel revolution?

You can definitely get a clunk from the ball joints in one direction, but to verify this, try moving the wheel around and also put a crow bar under the wheel and lift to see if there is play. Here is a video I made on diagnosing the ball joint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62bVn7E8gyk

Back