Drivers side front door latch for 97 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drivers side front door latch for 97 Explorer

dantes990

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I need to replace mine and have a couple questions:

- on a 4 door, are the front and rear door latches different? Ebay has some rear door latches but no fronts.

- do any other models such as Ranger use the same door latch?

- anyone know where I can pick up a used latch?

A spring broke in my latch which causes intermittent door lock problems. Sometimes I can only unlock the door by using the inside handle. Not a huge deal, and I would prefer to find a used latch as the dealer wants $60 for a new one.

Any info is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

front and rear ARE different

ranger and explorer have different part numbers

A junk yard would be a good possibility, however most will not sell just the latch but a complete door

$60.00 for a brand new OEM latch is quite reasonable.

I paid $10 for my LF at a local yard. All four are unique, I swapped all of my new latches into my 91 and 93 doors. You need a 95-01 latch for the 97. I told someone else here how to do that, was that you in a different thread?

I told someone else here how to do that, was that you in a different thread?

No, wasn't me. Any tricks I should know before diving in? I tried searching for info on replacing door latches, but didn't come up with much.

Dantes, It's good to see another Northern CA user here.

The Door Latches are pretty straight forward. Just pay attention to what you take off so you can put it back on.

You can definitly use a tool for pulling the door panel.

Check out this other thread where I posted for another.http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1673090#post1673090

If you are sure that you need a whole latch, find the replacement first. Reaching into the door to remove all of the linkages for the latch is the hardest part. Take your time and remember where those linkages all go. I learned the trick about this window guide recently.
The task is a bunch easier if you spend the 45 seconds that it takes to remove the glass guide bar. Also take your time with the yellow locking clip which holds the door handle link on. Look at the replacement part carefully. That yellow tab/arm is very easy to remove with pressure at the proper point. Learn where that is before diggin in there with so little room and lack of view. Good luck,

Cool, thanks for the tips!

Well, I just fixed the problematic internal return spring on my drivers side door latch. Unfortunately my interior door handle broke before I got a chance to fix it, so I gotta head over to Ford tomorrow and get one.

We'll see how long that dinky little spring lasts. I figure it made it 139.5k miles and 9.5 years, maybe it'll make it a little while longer ;)

Once again EF and more specifically - the search button - saves the day :thumbsup:

Elite fees pay off once again!

Another reason I love driving a Ford Explorer-ish vehicle...

New driver's side interior door handle

at dealer: $33
Advance Auto: $10.65 out the door :) Its actually one of their Help! items b/c the D/S handle breaking is that common among explorers :rolleyes:

Those handles are left and right, passengers seem to rip the back ones off. I have heard as little as $13 for them at Ford. My friend bought two recently for just over $30 for the pair.

...the dealer wants $60 for a new one.

Try another dealer. They don’t all charge list prices. I recently paid $34.50 when I replaced mine. (Ford P/N 6L5Z*7821813*C) The new revised latch eliminates the earlier flaws like that #!%*& little spring that breaks.

Back