Turning off that annoying seats belt chime | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turning off that annoying seats belt chime

Sleb

Reaction score
City, State
MB
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
For everbody that hates that seat belt chime.....This is how to turn it off

Belt Minder Deactivating/Activating

Preparation

1. Before deactivating/activating the belt minder, set the parking brake.
Place the transmission range selector lever in P (PARK) (automatic transmission) or the NEUTRAL position (manual transmission).

2. Place the ignition switch in the OFF position.

3. Close all the vehicle doors.

4. Unbuckle the driver safety belt.

5. Place the parking lamps/headlamps switch in the OFF position.

Deactivating/Activating

1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position. (Do not start the engine.)

2. Wait until the safety belt warning lamp turns off (approximately one to two minutes).

3. NOTE: Steps 3 through 5 must be completed within 60 seconds or the procedure must be repeated.

Buckle then unbuckle the safety belt nine times, ending with the safety belt unbuckled. This portion of the procedure can be done before or during belt minder warning activation.

4. Turn the parking lamps/headlamps ON then OFF.

5. Buckle then unbuckle the safety belt nine times ending with the safety belt unbuckled. After this step the safety belt warning lamp will be illuminated for three seconds.

6. Within seven seconds of the safety belt warning lamp turning off, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt. This will enable the belt minder if disabled or disable the belt minder if enabled.

7. The following sequence of events confirm the belt minder is enabled:

-flashing of the safety belt warning belt lamp four times per second for three seconds

-three seconds with the safety belt lamp off

-flashing the safety belt lamp four times per second for three seconds again

8. The safety belt lamp flashing four times per second for three seconds provides confirmation that the belt minder is disabled.

9. After confirmation, the deactivation/activation procedure is complete.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Beautiful! Do you have one for the door 3rd gen chime?

Sorry, the door chime when the key is in the ignition and the door is open?

I remember reading how to de-activate that belt minder in the owner's manual. In a way, I kind of like it, as it does remind me to buckle up, but it does get annoying.

I always joke with my (male) customers in that this belt minder must have been designed by a woman. Rather than just tell you once and shut up, it nags you till you do what it wants!

I turned off my belt reminder chime.

But in steps 3 - 5, my manual says to buckle and unbuckle the seatbelt 3 times. NOT 9. I read 9 on here somewhere else... and I couldn't get it to work. Looked it up in my manual and it says 3 times. That worked for me.

wonder if this works in the 2002 expedition...my stepfather can't STAND it.

Wouldn't be easier just to get an old "male" buckle and stick it in the "female" buckle? ;)

Or... even easier: just buckle up? :thumbsup:

:D

An old female buckle would be a good idea if you could find one.

I wear my seatbelt all the time, but I have to move the explorer and park it on the street to get my Buick out of the garage, and I usually don't put my seatbelt on for that 45 second trip.

Ford will give customers a seat belt extender if you're too large to buckle in to the standard belt. You could just get one of these and plug it into the driver's buckle.

I usually try to wear my seat belt and the belt minder does help me to buckle up, but it does get tiring having to buckle up for every little nit-pickin' thing even if I'm only in the vehicle for a couple minutes.

I turned off my belt reminder chime.

But in steps 3 - 5, my manual says to buckle and unbuckle the seatbelt 3 times. NOT 9. I read 9 on here somewhere else... and I couldn't get it to work. Looked it up in my manual and it says 3 times. That worked for me.

I did the 3 times also and it worked. Tried the 9 but had no success.

-Melon

Do you think this same procedure would work for a 2005 Mercury Mountaineer? If not, does anyone have that procedure?

Do you think this same procedure would work for a 2005 Mercury Mountaineer? If not, does anyone have that procedure?

Should be the same, but check your manual. It should be in there...

For everbody that hates that seat belt chime.....This is how to turn it off

Belt Minder Deactivating/Activating

Preparation

1. Before deactivating/activating the belt minder, set the parking brake.
Place the transmission range selector lever in P (PARK) (automatic transmission) or the NEUTRAL position (manual transmission).

2. Place the ignition switch in the OFF position.

3. Close all the vehicle doors.

4. Unbuckle the driver safety belt.

5. Place the parking lamps/headlamps switch in the OFF position.

Deactivating/Activating

1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position. (Do not start the engine.)

2. Wait until the safety belt warning lamp turns off (approximately one to two minutes).

3. NOTE: Steps 3 through 5 must be completed within 60 seconds or the procedure must be repeated.

Buckle then unbuckle the safety belt nine times, ending with the safety belt unbuckled. This portion of the procedure can be done before or during belt minder warning activation.

4. Turn the parking lamps/headlamps ON then OFF.

5. Buckle then unbuckle the safety belt nine times ending with the safety belt unbuckled. After this step the safety belt warning lamp will be illuminated for three seconds.

6. Within seven seconds of the safety belt warning lamp turning off, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt. This will enable the belt minder if disabled or disable the belt minder if enabled.

7. The following sequence of events confirm the belt minder is enabled:

-flashing of the safety belt warning belt lamp four times per second for three seconds

-three seconds with the safety belt lamp off

-flashing the safety belt lamp four times per second for three seconds again

8. The safety belt lamp flashing four times per second for three seconds provides confirmation that the belt minder is disabled.

9. After confirmation, the deactivation/activation procedure is complete.

holy ****, i think it was easier process to get GOD mode on Grand theft Auto 3 !!!

but if it works !

Steps 3-4-5 are incorrect.
Its not 9 times. Its 3.

I have the 04 Ford Service manual and it says 9 times.
But my owners manual says 3 times.

I tried 9 times and couldn't get it to work.
Then checked my owners manual and read 3 times.
The next try it worked.

Yup, three times works on my 2002 X. Thanks...you've saved me a ton of annoyance...I never thought it possible short of cutting the wires on the chime-o-matic.

Sorry, the door chime when the key is in the ignition and the door is open?

I'm not sure where it is on the Explorer, but on my 00 F150 (that I had) it was a wire near the ignition. When the remote start was installed, we pulled that and just set it aside in case I wanted to put it back on. I didn't have any reason to do it.

My guess is that if you take the steering column cover off - there may be a lil wiring harness there - but be careful. I'm not sure how the PATS system is ran through there.

-Melon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just removed the "chime" itself--It is soldered to the back of the speedometer cluster (looks like a black button)--I just soldered a jumper wire in and have no more annoying noises--I like to leave my keys in the igntion--

Back