• Register Today It's free!

Is my mounty a parts car?

-Jack-

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer
I've got a '97 Mounty 5.0 AWD with ~172k miles. The transmission is acting up, the ac doesnt work (my mechanic cant find the leak meaning its probably in the evaporator core), the tires have a lot of wear and it needs new shocks, the drivers seat belt wont "click in". The motor pulls strong and the transfer case has recently been rebuilt.

Depending on whats wrong with the AC and transmission it could very easily cost $4k to get it back into daily driver status.

Is this truck worth more for parts? And how much would it be worth as a parts car?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The trans acting up is the big one. I would get several estimates on the trans. Your mechanic should be able to find an A/C leak regardless. The rest depends on how good you are at parting out or changing out the engine to an other vehicle. I always thought that a ranger with a 5.0 would be cool.

I've got a '97 Mounty 5.0 AWD with ~172k miles. The transmission is acting up, the ac doesnt work (my mechanic cant find the leak meaning its probably in the evaporator core), the tires have a lot of wear and it needs new shocks, the drivers seat belt wont "click in". The motor pulls strong and the transfer case has recently been rebuilt.

Depending on whats wrong with the AC and transmission it could very easily cost $4k to get it back into daily driver status.

Is this truck worth more for parts? And how much would it be worth as a parts car?

FIX IT! You'll spend just as much buying something else. At least now you now what you have. We've already lost too many 2nd gen explorers, between recent wrecks and that C.A.R.S. crap.
NO it should not cost anywhere near 4K. Put a used tranny in it yourself for about $400. Evap core can also be used. Receiver/Dryer ($30) and expansion valve should be new. Take the opportunity, while it's all out to inspect and/or repair the blend door issue. Seat belt also can be junkyard, it's a couple of bolts.
Tires/shocks/ect.. are NORMAL maintenance. They should not really be a factor in the fix it decision, as you should assume anything else you buy will need these things anyway.
Scrap value is probably about $300. Unless you have the place and tools to strip, and store the parts until you sell them individually, that's what you'll get for it; and if you CAN do that, then you can fix it yourself.

FIX IT! :salute:

SELL IT!

to me for $500 :)

Sell it for $1000. Buy a 2001 explorer with half the miles for $4000.

I bought my X because It was a good deal, a low mileage trailer tower, and I have some skills. If it cost too much money then it's time to.... By what you are saying, it is a horse that has been rode hard and put away wet.

With all due respect, maybe let this one go.

Look on KBB.com, See whats out there.

Sell it for $1000. Buy a 2001 explorer with half the miles for $4000.

I like this idea. But can I actually get $1k for mine? I guess so, the rebuilt transfer case is probably alone worth $500...

Sounds like a nightmare of a truck...Unfortunantly it's not worth anything really. Maybe a good time to start learning?

I like this idea. But can I actually get $1k for mine? I guess so, the rebuilt transfer case is probably alone worth $500...

Hell yes! You should be able to get at minimum $1k for it. If not for somebodys DD, maybe a first car, winter truck, or offroad toy. Anything that's 4WD, running good, and drives good is worth $1k in my book and many others.

Back