Limited Slip Differential | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Limited Slip Differential

jbish1572

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer xls
I have a 2000 ford explorer xls, vin digit is X it is a 4.0
It has Auto/4Hi/4lo on the selector nob.
The axle code is D4
Have few questions:

First I was wandering if it has Limited slip in the front or is it just in the rear?

I have notice that it seems to not have good traction. What I mean is I got stuck on a small driveway that was slanted it had about 5 inches of snow on it. Had to have a pickup truck pull me out. The vehicle just sit and spin. I had some one look at the wheels see if all 4 wheels were spining and they wasn't. One wheel was spining in the front and one in the back. So I thought it was because I was in just regular 4 Hi, so I put it in 4 lo and still the same response. So my question is, could the limited slip be worn out? If so can I repair it?

I have read that it is a good idea to change the fluid, but my rear end says it never needs to be changed. but some say to add new fluid and it might make it work. So if that is the case, where do I buy this fluid and what type?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the clutches are gone in the rear differential. But I am not an expert, nor do I play one online. LSD should engage both tires to spin given the conditions you gave. Yes, you can rebuild the LSD, If you have the proper tooling and knowledge to do so.
As for differential fluid that "lasts a lifetime" .. "lifetime" of your differentials depends on whos definition of lifetime you want to believe. I believe that if you want to have that LSD live, change the fluid.
I use the motorcraft brand synthetic fluid availble at the Ford Stealership, and get the friction modifier.
Might be pointless until you get the LSD to work properly..I dont know. Someone else with more expertise will add to this please.

I'm pretty sure stock LSD's wear out pretty easily. Doubt new fluid will do much. I'd probably swap out the fluid if it's never been drained. I'd be more inclined to look into better tires then replace LSD clutches myself.

hmm for the price of repairing a ls, and new fluid, maybe go look at the JY for an open carrier, and than put a locker in , than call it done for good,

than both wheels will definately have the same amount of drive,,

http://www.aussielocker.com/item.php/TM912a38/6527/06/306008/.html

i have this one, works great , and good price too ,

You can improve the function of the stock limited slip. Stack the frictions differently when you rebuild it. I believe it's just Friction/steel/friction/steel and so on, but you can find different stacking orders online to make them grab harder. I don't remember off the top of my head. Another big thing you can do is use an S-spring out of an F-150. The spring is stronger and will apply more force on the clutches. If you use carbon fiber frictions ($$$) from ford racing, they will last a lot longer than the factory ones. I believe they put these stock in the 03/04 Cobras.

-Rob

EDIT: I should add, with these mods, the LS won't be quite as street friendly and smooth as stock, but it is more forgiving than a locker.

So what I am understanding here is that it doesn't make sense to rebuild the LSD because it really doesn't work all that great anyways.

What is the cheapest and best advice for me to make this explorer have traction. I don't off road a lot. I do have a boat and I use the explore to pull the boat. It is used when I go hunting. So I am not a big die hard off road driver, but I don't want to get stuck like I have been and have some one with a truck pull me out.

So what I am understanding here is that it doesn't make sense to rebuild the LSD because it really doesn't work all that great anyways.

What is the cheapest and best advice for me to make this explorer have traction. I don't off road a lot. I do have a boat and I use the explore to pull the boat. It is used when I go hunting. So I am not a big die hard off road driver, but I don't want to get stuck like I have been and have some one with a truck pull me out.

Just get the LSD rebuilt. For light stuff like you are talking about, it will function fine. Most people would prefer NOT to have a locker if they are driving their vehicle much on the street. I would say these guys just have their minds set on overkill since they like to go offroad a lot. Like I posted above, you can improve the way the stock LSD functions. Even just stacking the friction plates in a different way can make a considerable difference. The stronger spring will make it grab even harder. You may not want to do both because it will start to show itself in tight turns like a locker would where both wheels are trying to turn at the same speed.

When I built the rear end in my Tbird, (8.8" LSD) I re-stacked the frictions, but did not go with the heavier spring. It works great and is very friendly on the street. It withstood me drag racing with it all last summer and still works great. I got the frictions from www.supercoupeperformance.com . If you can do this stuff yourself, you will save a lot of labor $$ and it is pretty easy. You don't even need to have the carrier out of the rear end to change the clutches.

-Rob

4wd should be plenty of traction with decent tires. If you need more I'd start by rebuilding the LS and see if that does it for you.

I agree with 91EX4X4, just rebuild the LSD you have. 4 wheel drive and good tires are plenty for the use you describe. A locker in your circumstance would be overkill. The carbon fiber frictions are $128.95 from Ford racing.

Where is the cheapest places to buy all the parts that I will need?

Any schematics or diagrams would be helpful.

Does the explorer come with LSD in the front? If so, I think I should rebuild it as well.

thanks

Where is the cheapest places to buy all the parts that I will need?

Any schematics or diagrams would be helpful.

Does the explorer come with LSD in the front? If so, I think I should rebuild it as well.

thanks

Cant answer as to where it is cheapest, but remember to balance cost with quality. Dont compare apples and oranges. Like i said Ford racing was 128.95, but remember that that price is to rebuild/replace your LSD clutches only. Frictions and springs all included. Fordracing dot com (those were racing carbon fiber clutches)

There is no LSD in your front differential. Maybe not rebuild, but, how about a fluid change? Personally, I used the Motorcraft synthetic that the factory used. Available at your local Ford stealership.

Try the search feature, maybe you can find one here. I know theres a boatload of information about the LSD on here, but as for diagrams? I dont know, probably are some photos of a rebuild here somewhere. Try searching 8.8 LSD rebuild or something similar

* Fits all 8.8" Traction-Lok differentials
* Kit includes carbon fiber clutch pack, shims, S-spring and instruction sheet
* Carbon fiber discs designed for higher torque usage
Used in 2003-2010 SVT Mustangs

I went to the website (ford racing)
But the frictions that you are talking about says it is for a mustang(posted above)? So do you know where I could buy ones for my vehicle.

But the frictions that you are talking about says it is for a mustang(posted above)? So do you know where I could buy ones for my vehicle.

They will work fine for your application.

"Fits all 8.8" Traction-Lok differentials"

-Rob

So I guess I have the 8.8 Traction-Lok differentials.
Is there a way to verify that in fact I do have that type of differential or is something that ford always used.

That is the kit you want. If you have the Ford "LSD" differential. "Traction-Lok" is what Ford calls it. It hasn't changed since 1979, they just have it listed as being used as stock in the 2003-2010 Rustangs.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M4700C
On sale for $109.99

What do your tires look like before you go digging into your diff, having tires with good tread and a pattern that will work in the snow is much more beneficial then having a limited slip. Most of the time your better off to have open diffs in snow so the back end is not sliding around on you.

Back