• Register Today It's free!

tachometer problem

k4e2n01234

Reaction score
City, State
Ventura, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt 5spd man. auto 4x4
My tachometer stays up at about 3500rpm and doesnt move until i get it up passed 3500 its stuck there but when i turn off the engine it goes to zero. I have no idleing problems. what's up??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that you have problem con the Idle Air Temp (IAT ) sensor...Do you check it?...may be dirty.....

i dont think it would be a temperature sensor problem cause it idles fine its just the tach. reads its idleing at 3500, no idleing problems. so from my understanding the idle air temp senor reads the incoming air temp and controls the idle from that reading, which has nothing to do, it seems with this problem because of the normal idle.

I have the same problem, about 3200 RPMs on mine. No idea what the cause is. It idles fine, but the tach doesn't go below 3200 when running (drops to zero when off).

yeah i read that thread and feel the same about pulling the dash apart for something that really doesnt affect anything but looks. i dont want to get into more trouble lol

Go ahead!

Hey guys,
I have the very same problem with the tach... however I did not see the post that Maniak refers to! Too bad, I've already took the cluster off and reintall it!:mad:

I will do it again and check the solder in the back. But let me tell you one thing, I was also scared of taking the tach apart but it isn't a big deal! :D
Just be gentle when you remove the pointer (needle), the rest is a piece of cake!:thumbsup:

I have the very same issue, does anyone know what causes this? Is taking the instrument panel apart the only way to repair it? Seems funny that everyone's I have read idles at 3,000 " on the tach".

I have the very same issue, does anyone know what causes this? Is taking the instrument panel apart the only way to repair it? Seems funny that everyone's I have read idles at 3,000 " on the tach".

Broken solder points on the circuit board of the tach is the issue. I tried re-flowing the solder points on mine, but wound up replacing the tach with another one from a 94 model.

All is well after that.

Here in LA there are many Explorers. What years are compatible for tachometers in case I want to go looking for a used one. Mine is a 92

Here in LA there are many Explorers. What years are compatible for tachometers in case I want to go looking for a used one. Mine is a 92

89-92 rangers, 89-90 bronco II, 91-94 explorer.

Back