Flyboycoe's AWD 5.0 to 4WD Conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flyboycoe's AWD 5.0 to 4WD Conversion

FlyBoyCoe

Reaction score
City, State
Corpus Christi, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Eddie Bauer
So it's about time that I join the real trucks out there and ditch the ol AWD transfer case in lieu of a more capable 4406. :D Right now I'm working on locating all the parts I need.

This is my grocery list so far:

-Borg Warner 4406 manual shift transfer case (97-01 F-150)
-Front driveshaft (97-01 F-150 or Exped/Nav)
-Rear driveshaft (97-01 Exped/Nav only)
-Shifter
-Shifter arm
-Shifter boot
-Linkage rod
-U-joint 1330-1310 hybrid
-wiring for the dash lights

I'm using the following threads as my guide in this project, so far these write-ups and their authors have been an incredible help. :thumbsup:

410Fortune goes low range

MountaineerGreen's AWD to BW 4406 conversion

I will keep everyone posted on how the project is going. Hopefully I'll be able to get the work done in time for the Moab run in May.
Thanks to all of those who have already aided me in the process so far.

-Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

U joint = Autozone, Car Quest, any of them
Shifter arm, boot and linkage = Ford dealer

Wiring = Have plenty in my garage

The actual shifter mechanism I know where to find one (Boot Hill Auto, attached to F-150 transmission)

so just get the t case and driveshafts and your golden!

The driveshafts we may find at Denver Ford Parts or Boot Hill, or online

Well, I was busy with flight training on Saturday, and of course no salvage yards are open on Sunday, so my part hunting continues. I found a t-case online in Michigan for $175 with 30k miles + shipping charges, I'm going to call him tomorrow and see about getting that shipped out here to CO. Probably start calling places and trying to find some d-shafts, too.

On a side note, my Warrior shackles come in on Tuesday :D But I measured my fender heights today and found that I'm sagging about an inch in the rear. I'm planning on shackles and a TT, do you think that an AAL would help level it out, or would that be too much? Thanks.

put the shackles on and see what you think.

AAL makes the ride very stiff

Well I read 410's and mountaineergreens (both very well done) and now I will watch this one. I feel my swap is in the very near future.
Best of luck with yours :thumbsup:
JIGA

I personally like the added height of shackles and AAL, but its a individual decision. You could look into the F150 leaf pack swap too. I did it and like it very much.

EDIT: I am now running all but the top leaf of the F150 leaf pack, plus all but one of my stock leaves. One overload of course. I have that plus shackles and it matches my 4" superlift up front pretty well. It is very stiff though.

Best of luck with yours :thumbsup:

Thanks! 'preciate it.

So I just ordered my transfer case, looks like it'll be about $300 shipped to Colorado from Michigan. It's out of a '99 F-150 with 30k miles on it. Don't know how long it'll take to get here, but hopefully I can find some drive shafts before it arrives. (Navigator as well as Expedition should work right? Does it matter what tranny it came off of?)

On a side note: I got to fly my first ever solo today in flight training, what a rush!

410Fortune goes low range was my guiding light. I more less hijacked the thread somewhere around page 10ish. Just finished my conversion and I have to say it was well worth it. The truck feels quicker off the line, the steering is much lighter, I should start to see better fuel milage, less tire wear, and now I have kick ass 4Low. It is a much more capable off road vehicle, however as a daily driver in the snow it sucks. I dont care what anyone says, there is nothing better than the AWD TC for winter daily driving. Look where you want to go and mash the gas always seemed to work out in my favour. Now in RWD if I so much as mash the gas, just shifting gears will break the rear end loose. I'm undecided as to how bad/good it is on the TC to drive on a snowy/wet/dry roads in 4HI. Not sure what the manual says, but I figure as long as yout driving in a straight line then there shouldnt be too much binding in the TC, and it should be ok.

EDIT: About the tire wear... there seems to be an excessive amount of rubber on the road each time I leave the driveway. I think there may be something wrong with the IAC.

The way I see it, when you're on snow with the AWD you're only getting the 35/65 power split between front and rear wheels. With the truck in 4Hi, you're still using the same gear ratio, but now you've got a 50/50 split, which is more preferable. Of course 2wd won't work nearly as well in the snow, but I don't see how 4Hi can be any worse than the AWD. It would be the same amount of stress on the t-case. As far as turning goes, that's what differentials are for :)

I really liked my AWD in the snow- I just cruised right along never had to worry about pulling out or turning. With the 4406, I ran in 4wd high up until about 40-45, then kicked it out on snow covered roads. If it was partly clear, I just left it in 2hi. It only snows twice a year here, and rarely lasts more than a day or two, so its no biggie for me.

Got the drive shafts ordered, just about $100 each, after shipping. Should be here by friday. Hopefully I'll be able to get up to Denver Ford Parts and get the shifter assembly. Looks like I ought to be able to install this bad boy within a few weeks.

Hey, I just want to throw a quick shout out to Tilt168 for hooking me up with Ninja's wheels and tires. I'm glad to know the legacy will live on in my Explorer. By the time I'm done with her, maybe she'll be worthy of the honor. Thanks a bunch Tilt!

boot hill auto salvage for the shifter assembly and you are likely going to have to walk the yard and find the part you need yourself, as mentioned in the conversion threads the shifter assembly is typically left bolted to the side of the transmission tail housing when they dis assemble the trucks, so you wont find it on the 4406 t cases they have.

denver ford might have it as well but I would try boot hill first, they are 3 blocks from each other.

oh another guy is doing the conversion....now im starting to think i should have cleaned up the clutter in my thread......nah scratch that, too much work.

410, It looks like my best opportunity to do the swap is over my spring break Mar 23-Apr 1. If you're free anytime that week that'll be great. I should have all my parts by then.

PM me we can squeeze you in for sure

The conversion takes about 16 solid hours in -15C. The hardest part was getting the freaking AWD TC to break loose. After about an hour I ended up using an air hammer to pry the things apart. I wouldnt recommend it as it will score the tailhousing, but I was out of options. The body lift is a huge help. Dont bother removing the seats, just cut the carpet. Youll probably need new clips for the tranni access panel. I think they are the M6 size. Also, beat the snot out of the gas tank until you get a good .75" of clearance between it and the driveshaft. I ended up cutting new holes in the gas tank bracket and moving the whole operation over .5 inch. Youll also need a sledge hammer to bash the gas tank bracket into shape. Forget jacks and stands.. Go for broke and get a nice set of ramps. Be sure to mark the orientation of all driveline compoents so you can put things back together again. Youll have to move the wiring harness on the tranni forward 1 hole.

D-shaft marking doesnt work in this...you swap out the d-shafts duh lol. And 16 hours??? Wow took me 3.5-4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back