1992 Ranger Clutch Problems

BTRs X

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Maysville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer XL 4x4
My 1992 Ford Ranger 4x4 4cyl 5-spd has a clutch issue. I have had a small leak in my clutch system which requires me to refill it every 3-4 months. Today after about a 120 mile trip, I pulled up to a stop light and noticed there was no clutch pedal pressure when I pushed it...and the truck stalled before I could pull it into neutral. The only way to take off is to put the truck into 1st gear and crank it, but that is just to move it...it won't let you shift into any other gears. The clutch has only 17K miles on it...could this just be my slave cylinder? Thanks for any help. I depend on this truck to get me to work!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be just air in the system blled it and refill and see what ya get. Been dealing with clutch issue for months finally got clutch all good after a lot of work.

Look under the truck and see if you can find where the leak is coming from but more than likely its the slave since these transmissions are bad about that.

Since this just happened and the clutch just has 17K miles on it...could I just inspect the clutch and replace the slave cylinder? Thanks.

Oh so you got the clutch replaced and didnt replace the slave cylinder? tisk tisk If so then yes you can do that.

Im really not sure. The clutch was replaced by the previous owner...Im not sure what all was replaced...how long does a typical clutch last? Thanks.

It really depends on driving style and such. Some clutches last forever while some maybe a few thousand miles. Mine lasted about 5,000 miles but that was with 35's, stock 3.73 gears and hard off-roading, while the clutch in my old 96 ranger was still factory and had over 130,000 miles and was still going strong. The slave cylinders in these vehicles are notorious for going bad and if the previous owner didnt replace it when he had the clutch done then thats more than likely your problem.

Well Im leaving on vacation tomorrow so it will be Tuesday before I can get the transmission out and be for sure what the problem is. But I did just go out and look and there is a puddle of fluid under the front of the bell housing. What is a good brand/store to get the clutch and slave from? Thanks for all the help.

Back