Off to the dark side... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Off to the dark side...

If by pre fabbed you mean that everything related to actually wheeling has to be purchased and bolted on? Yeah guilty!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Orange, huh. Do we call it "The OTHER Great Pumpkin"?

Well, it's paid off.

Now, to get flat fenders and a lift, so I can run 37 inch tires.

Wicked cool!! I love the color

My dad picked up a 20 gladiator in white, pretty neat little Chrysler. Im waiting for the 21 Bronco before I decide if I should sawzall the BII up. Neighbor has a samurai he runs around back here and man..........just like following a certain zuki around thaven years ago I really want a topless wheeler...........

Edit: crap I missed the thread date, oh well at least its paid off!

So, in six years time I've had to replace the radiator due to the plastic side tanks cracking, the radiator cap, the battery. The engine oil cooler cracked and was replaced under warranty, the passenger air bag was replaced due to being recalled, one tire pressure sensor failed, and the rear heated glass since it stopped heating.

I replaced the factory radio with an 10" Android radio twice now, first one totally crapped out, second one is working great with Google Maps with Traffic using the radio's LTE with GoogleFi, so no tethering is need; in fact, it becomes a mobile hot spot! Google Maps Traffic in the AM around here can make a huge difference on a grid lock day. I also added a backup camera. The radio supports a front camera also, but I have not installed one yet.

I found that rotating the tires at the 4k to 5k mark makes a huge difference in tire life. The front solid axle causes really bad cupping if you don't do this. Had to replace the tires at around 35k miles.

We have about 75k miles on the vehicle now, and few scratches in the fender flares, and a dent in a cross member.

We still love the color, esp. since it was the last year for it.

I have it setup now for a 2 meter Bluetooth radio, along with a portable hand held CB radio.

One of the best things I did was set the jeep for flat towing. When we visited Yellowstone, we put over 500 miles on the jeep there!

Attachments

• IMG_20180918_083650.jpg
    IMG_20180918_083650.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 124

Here it is, Aug 2021, and..

Nothing has changed.

I do however want a set of these:

with the armor kit (not the body part..) Just need to find someone to help install them, they are heavy.

I did do more work on the Superduty (turbo bellows up pipes, compressor wheel, banks big head waste gate, replaced the Edge Juice w/Attitude (died), replaced all the leaf springs) and ended up with monster.

We put the camper on the truck, and it still sits 6" to 8" higher than before (new HD rear leaf springs, increased the rate from 3k lbs to 4.4klbs per side)

So now I have to work on the flat tow setup, and get it aligned back up with the jeep; or use it as my excuse to lift the jeep; the jeep tires are due next year.

I do have a new 2.5" hitch for the Superduty on order, that will help some, but Curt Manufacturing has a 3 to 6 month backlog right now.

Well, finally..

Ordered the sliders, the lift kit, and wheels for it. Still need to figure out tires, and gear ratio change (factory 3.73 and 37's suck..)

Those rock sliders - they now make them for Bronco's.

My back is already hurting.

Can't imagine 3.73s and 37s. Is this one auto or manual trans?

It's a 4 speed auto. Going to be dog.. need to decide what ratio to go to - 4.10, 4.56, 4.88 or even 5.13's.

5:13's.....I can get you gears too if you want.

Everything is confirmed and starting to ship already. :cool:

I was wrong, it's a 5 speed auto..

Once you figure out the gearing, plenty of engine swaps available. A V10 out of a viper would be sweet.

Once you figure out the gearing, plenty of engine swaps available. A V10 out of a viper would be sweet.

I don't feel like dealing with California SMOG and it's ****ty requirements.. I did an upgrade on my Suzuki samurai, and had to deal with the referees.. No thanks.

I don't feel like dealing with California SMOG and it's ****ty requirements.. I did an upgrade on my Suzuki samurai, and had to deal with the referees.. No thanks.
I don't blame you, i should have checked to see if you lived in the United states before posting that.

Weather (it rained ALOT here this winter), waiting for certain temperatures, busy schedule..

Here's where it's at

installed rock slide engineering slides with lights, heave duty armor.
bushwacker flat fenders
smittybilt xrc rear bumper and tire carrier
bestop sunrider replaces the freedom panels with retractable sunscreen

liftkit is in the garage, along with new wheels...

The steps and sunrider we just love. The freedom panels take time to remove, and are bulky.

The bumper tire carrier is attached to the tail gate.

IMG_20230715_155659_289.jpg

IMG_20230715_155547_000.jpg

IMG_20230715_155527_225.jpg

IMG_20230715_155514_860.jpg

IMG_20230715_155521_203.jpg

IMG_20230715_155711_534.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FST used the electric steps on a lot of their builds. Pretty cool.

When do you plan on installing the lift?

Back