Activating Rearview Camera | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Activating Rearview Camera

Gharp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer
has anyone figured out how to activate the rear view camera for use at any time? like for monitoring a trailer load or reading license plates of tailgaters.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would be surprised if that's possible without some major hacking. Even most after market systems won't do this. I guess they consider it a distraction.

Not possible unless you buy and install a Ford Sync "lockpick". You can make the rearview camera stay on a little after you are out of reverse by activating the rearview camera delay option though.

has anyone figured out how to activate the rear view camera for use at any time? like for monitoring a trailer load or reading license plates of tailgaters.

Hi, Gharp!

There's no way to activate it while driving, unless of course you're a stunt driver and go everywhere in Reverse. ;)

Rebecca

Wait another year or two.... I imagine every manufacturer will claim it is not possible on their vehicle for liability reasons. Then someone will show them how to rewire the reverse gear selection sensor... Or plug in a module to fool the system... If there is sufficient demand, I bet someone will make it happen.

All you have to do is spoof it....rig a switch that fakes the system into thinking it is in reverse!

I had an Car that had a reverse camera that was triggered when the reverse lights came on. I thought the camera would have been tied into the transmission nuetral safety switch, but it wasn't, only the reverse light. So I tapped into the control wire, mounted a switch under the dash, a diode, and viola!, any time, any where, any gear or speed, I just hit the switch and the reverse camera came one. Pretty trippy watching it as you are moving forward as fast speed. But it worked! I could sit in park, hit the switch, and watch everything going on behind me. Stealth!

THIS is what makes the forums so great. :)

I had an Infiniti FX and someone on that forum modded the camera to stay on while driving, so it is possible.

Has anyone found a way to turn on the rear camera - even just momentarily while driving? I pull a trailer quite frequently when I go to my cabin and many times it is loaded with a number of items. I do try to make sure they are all securely fastened down but it would be a big plus to be able to take a quick peek to make sure everything is ok back there every once in awhile ... would give the wifey something to do while I drive too.

I was able to do that on my 2012 ford f150 xlt when I installed the oem bu cam with a aftermarket kenwood excelon hu. You just hit the camera button on the kenwood anytime while in motion, and you could viewthe rear or front installed cameras.

I'm sure there might be a way to do it on the oembu cam, but it's out of my skill zone, to plainly figure it out.

Has anyone found a way to turn on the rear camera - even just momentarily while driving? I pull a trailer quite frequently when I go to my cabin and many times it is loaded with a number of items. I do try to make sure they are all securely fastened down but it would be a big plus to be able to take a quick peek to make sure everything is ok back there every once in awhile ... would give the wifey something to do while I drive too.
Your thread was merged with this existing one. I don't know if FORScan will allow you to modify the OEM setup or not.

Peter

Back