2002 Explorer XLS Stereo wire harness trouble | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer XLS Stereo wire harness trouble

AznGoalie31

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
Ok, you all have probably heard this a thousand times before, but I need help wiring a new stereo. This is the first one I've done by myself, so bear w/ me. I have the the factory unit out and all, but when I yanked it out I found this,
100_6720.jpg

The 2 plugs were connected to the bottom two holes in the factory stereo.
100_6727.jpg

So now, the wire harness I bought was the "Scosche 94-up Select Vehicles."
100_6724.jpg

The rectangular plug from the first pic fits into the white adapter. But the square plug won't fit into any of the other plugs on the harness.

So my problem is, did I get the wrong harness? Or is the square plug not used with the new unit?

Please Help!
~kevin~

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pictures not showing:bounce:
:salute:

Technically since you have the main plug (16 pin) the radio will work. With just the one main connector, you will not have rear radio control for the rear passengers. The cruise control will not be affected and has nothing to do with the radio connectors. The second bigger connector (20 pin) also controlled a external cd changer if you had one.

Thank you soooo much. I haven't tried out my cruise yet, but I got my JVC unit in last night and it works fine! It actually makes my factory speakers sound better too, because of the equalizer settings.

I cannot thank you enough,
~kevin~

The VSS wire is physically located on the second connector (20 pin) also. I believe it's for volume control of the radio to make up for road noise while the vehicle is in motion. The average aftermarket radios do not use this lead. Some Nav radios with GPS also utilize (monitor) this lead also for when the vehicle is in motion. I never have seen the complete 20 pin connector (aftermarket adapter) and it appears that many only have a couple of leads (2 ?) because the normal aftermarket radios doesn't need them.

Thanks for this thread! I was pulling my hair out last night and couldnt figure it out.

So my car has the two connectors you pictured but also a small square one too, the square connector does not fit in the "corresponding" square connector on my scosche. Any ideas?

Also am I able to cut off the unneeded connectors off the harness so it's not a rats nest behind thedash?

Thanks for this thread! I was pulling my hair out last night and couldnt figure it out.

So my car has the two connectors you pictured but also a small square one too, the square connector does not fit in the "corresponding" square connector on my scosche. Any ideas?

Also am I able to cut off the unneeded connectors off the harness so it's not a rats nest behind thedash?

Of course you can cut off the unneeded stuff. Just make sure it really is unneeded.

Thanks, I ended up rewiring it all last night, and it all worked. The only thing I found out was my pioneer wiring diagram said to wire the red wire (ignition on) to the corresponding red wire on the harness. Doing so only turns my stereo on when I turn the key on but not to acc. Any ideas on how to change that?

Sounds the accessory feed in your ignition switch could be bad. If the stereo comes on when the key is in the ON position and everything else works as normal, but the key is in ACC nothing works then you have a bad connection somewhere in the switch, or the switch itself is bad

Do your windows roll down in ACC?

I'm an idiot...I didnt realize the acc was in the reverse direction of the key...oh boy do I feel dumb. It all works now!

Lol, mistakes happen.

What wire in harness is the one to hook an amp too, please help!

Back