Keeps dying | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keeps dying

KBFordExp

Reaction score
My 2011 Explorer has died four times since November. The dealership can't seem to find a problem. After the third time, they replaced the battery (apparently, this was the only time it tested dead). Well, it just died for the fouth time overnight. The forunate thing is, it's always dead in our driveway and not when I'm out anywhere.

Any suggestions, BTDT....anything....going back to the dealer again tomorrow...:(.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alternator is dying or already dead!

Sounds to me like an interior light or auxillary device staying on draining the battery overnight. If it was the alternator the battery wouldn't charge back up enough and it would still not start again once you go to leave your destination.

My 2011 Explorer has died four times since November. The dealership can't seem to find a problem. After the third time, they replaced the battery (apparently, this was the only time it tested dead). Well, it just died for the fouth time overnight. The forunate thing is, it's always dead in our driveway and not when I'm out anywhere.

Any suggestions, BTDT....anything....going back to the dealer again tomorrow...:(.
Are talking about the battery or the vehicle stopping when it is running? It sounds like the vehicle dies when running.
If it is the battery you're talking about, mine seems to have a problem keeping a full charge lately. When I had it in for an oil change in October, the tech asked if I had a trickle charger because although the battery tested okay, it was not fully charged. I bought a charger and the first time it took 4 hours to fully charge the battery on a 2A charge. A month later I chargerd it again. On Jan. 3rd when I turned the Ex off I received a message on the MFT saying "Battery Saver Program OFF - turn off ignition or start the vehicle".I charged the battery for 5 hours to a full charge and the message no longer came back until last Thursday when I again brought the battery back to full charge.
It seems that there have been quite a few owners replacing batteries, some of which are only a month or so old.

Peter

It's always dead in the morning. So far, only been stuck at home. Never stopped running while I was driving. After the third time of it being dead, they replaced the battery. That was less than a month ago. Calling Ford again in the morning. My BIL says alternator also and he teaches auto mechanics. Thanks for the input.

Took my Explorer in today to have the Winter wheels swapped with the OEM wheels and mentioned that I had to charge the battery several times as per my post in this thread. They did a test and ended up replacing the battery under warranty.

Peter

They finally found a problem after the fourth time. There was a bad switch somewhere. No problems since, although I do still hold my breath that it will start.

Back