• Register Today It's free!

TPS help!!!

dan68ford

Reaction score
City, State
kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ranger5.0
Alright guys I have a 98 ranger with a 98 explorer 5.0 and 4r70w. Truck has been running awesome until last week. Went to start my truck one morning and it sounded like it had a healthy cam in it! Looked around and noticed my tps plug was split in half and one of the wires was pulled back. So got a new splice in pigtail and put in. Truck runs good, but now it shifts only when I let off the gas. CE light says p0122 low tps voltage. Bought a new tps no change. Checked the voltage power wire 4.99, signal wire .30 and the ground wire was good. Any thoughts on what would cause a low signal voltage? Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for your reply. I have it installed correctly. Ive tried it both ways. It starts out at around .40 and goes all the way up to .260 and its the correct tps I double checked the part number. Is there a possibility its my computer?

That's what im trying to figure out why it has low readings. If I have 4.99 power and it goes thru the tps and comes out low voltage. You would think it was the tps. I even tried a different one. Still the same results. Im lost on what to try next?

TPS wiring

The gray/red wire is the sensor common return. It should not be grounded.
The brown/white wire is the supply voltage (about +5.0 v.)
The gray/white wire is the signal voltage (about +1.0 to +4.5v).
TPS1998V8.jpg

Use the signal return instead of chassis ground to measure voltages.
By "new splice in pigtail and put in" do you mean you purchased a new TPS connector with pigtails and wired it in. If so, you probably have the signal wire and the return wires mixed up or shorted together.

I used the signal return instead of the chassis. It was a plug with a pigtail. But I did the wires one at a time so there was no confusion and they are separated by connectors so I know they are not touching each other.

Thanks for the schematic too. I will try to trace wires tomorrow.

Back