today my 93 a4ld will not go in any gear Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

today my 93 a4ld will not go in any gear Help

gtdad

Reaction score
City, State
Ewardsville il.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 4wd ranger
My wife 93 ranger 4x4 4.0 auto was driving great with no problems now when she try to go to work it would not move in any gear when she put it back in park it made grinding sound. what could be the problem Please Help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can anyone help with this problem or show me where to find help? Thanks Gtdad

Hi would the Z link also make the grinding sound when put back in park? Thanks for reply
Probably not.

As stated, check the transmission fluid level.

The trans level right on the money also clean anything else thanks for the help
Probably not.

As stated, check the transmission fluid level.

Thanks Iwill drop the pan on monday check Z link.And see if I find anything in the pan. I will get back soon to let you know what I find. thanks for the help
The next step is to drop the pan. Check the Z link, and see if there are any broken parts in the pan.

Hi check the pan nothing but clean fluid everything looks good put pan back on add new fluid then my wife said try it in 4wheel low in it right an gear but it won't work in 2wheel 4 wheel high. What do you think it is Please Help
Thanks Iwill drop the pan on monday check Z link.And see if I find anything in the pan. I will get back soon to let you know what I find. thanks for the help

So what you're saying is that the vehicle is able to move in 4LO but not 4HI or 2WD?

If that is true, then its a transfer case problem. The transfer case isnt being properly engaged in 2WD or 4HI, perhaps broken (or bent) shift fork and so on.

Hi do you know any forums that show how to work on this transfer case it's a Borg warner 1354? thanks
So what you're saying is that the vehicle is able to move in 4LO but not 4HI or 2WD?

If that is true, then its a transfer case problem. The transfer case isnt being properly engaged in 2WD or 4HI, perhaps broken (or bent) shift fork and so on.

Hi do you know any forums that show how to work on this transfer case it's a Borg warner 1354? thanks
There's really nothing to dissasembling a transfer case.

Though the thread below is for the BW-4405, dissasembly should be pretty much the same so you might want to read it over just to familiarize yourself with the procedure and get an idea of what sort of tools is required:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182071

Back