• Register Today It's free!

STIFF n Rough Ride

Brizco

Reaction score
City, State
bc_beezey@yahoo.com
Year, Model & Trim Level
bc_beezey@yahoo.com
hey guys i just bought a 2003 xls...im loving this explorer ALOT!!

but i have a question for u guys since i am pretty new to this...

the ride is kinda stiff and rough when i hit bumps n cracks on the road...

how can i ease it up? or have a softer ride?

do i change up the springs? if so what brand should i get?

and while im doing this i kinda wanna lower the xls a lil bit ...would this be wise?

thanks ahead of time for the help guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked your tire pressure to see if it matches what the tag on your drivers door tag says?

Yes i have checked the tire pressure and its actually a lil low lol

but everytime i hit a small dip or little bump i feel a hard shock...

37 views and only 1 reply? cmon guys help me out pls!!

broken rear springs, worn ball joints

I have an 03 limited and mine rides kind of stiff as well. I also replaced all 4 struts and springs but still rides stiff. I think that is just the way the explorer is. Not sure but I still love driving it anyway.

:usa:scott what did u get for struts monroe or struttecks.and where. i just rec. all my parts, brakes, ball joints upper n lower fronts,sway bar links n bushings front and rear. just cant make up my mind 0n struts

i dont have any broken springs or anything wrong at all with my X...

ok what if i lower the X? would the ride be a bit better? and what kind of srings do u guys suggest? i was looking at the groundforce lowering springs...there is another brand that starts with a B i think but it didnt have many good reviews when i checked it out

I put on the Strutek's from primechoiceauto. The pricing was great compared to 4 monroes. Money was an issue.

i dont have any broken springs or anything wrong at all with my X...

ok what if i lower the X? would the ride be a bit better? and what kind of srings do u guys suggest? i was looking at the groundforce lowering springs...there is another brand that starts with a B i think but it didnt have many good reviews when i checked it out

If you think it rides rough now, lowering on GF springs will make you cry....so in short, don't do it:D

Everyone that's lowered mentions that their ride quality suffers. I have worn stock suspension on 20's, but the ride isn't too bad. It's possible your shocks are worn and not doing as they should. When I first bought mine, it rode really smooth and that's what sold me. Before switching to 20's, I noticed it was riding harsher. Hopefully I'll get some new shocks under her and see how it improves.

struttecks it is made up going to order now hope all 4 are in stock: my baby should ride sweet after all the parts r installed

struttecks it is made up going to order now hope all 4 are in stock: my baby should ride sweet after all the parts r installed

so r u getting new shocks too?

im am really thinking of just buying new shocks then for right now ...well i just hit 100k about a week ago and its driving really good still...

It was raining HARDCORE in So.Cal and after driving thru all this water and high mud ...some cars were stalling in intersections with knee high water

i just ran right thru it with no problem...uhh i dont think i wanna lower my X anymore especially with what u guys r saying and after driving today in this awful rain.

any good suggestions on good shocks?...and how can i check if my shocks r worn out?

they come with shocks 330 dollars on there site.some guys on here say the rear sits a little high doesnt bother me. pretty good price for oe replacement mounting bushings and all. probably cheaper than doing just shocks.my spring is broken anyway.at 100000 miles your springs might be a little fatigue as well.

they come with shocks 330 dollars on there site.some guys on here say the rear sits a little high doesnt bother me. pretty good price for oe replacement mounting bushings and all. probably cheaper than doing just shocks.my spring is broken anyway.at 100000 miles your springs might be a little fatigue as well.

so i should just change out my springs and shocks? and this will make my ride a bit easier on the spine? lol

:usa:definitely get a strut assembly u won't have to compress springs or pay to have them done. only time it makes sense is to do separately is if u r doing a custum ride height. off roading lowering etc.

:usa:definitely get a strut assembly u won't have to compress springs or pay to have them done. only time it makes sense is to do separately is if u r doing a custum ride height. off roading lowering etc.

uhh ok...so i should do this instead? sorry but i dont know much about these X's but what it a strut assembly? do i just take it to my mechanic and say get a "strut assembly"?

Your springs can be separated from/reassembled to the shocks. It's a pain though. It's a lot easier to buy the spring and shock already assembled together in one unit...that's what's called a strut assembly.

thank you ronin for this info!....

ok so its straight then? if i lower my car the ride gets worse?

Changing the factory suspension geometry in a way that lifts or lowers the vehicle will have affect the ride quality. How much the ride quality is affected it is related to how much you lift or lower it.

So try replacing your strut assemblies with an OEM type strut first and see if that helps.

uhh ok...so i should do this instead? sorry but i dont know much about these X's but what it a strut assembly? do i just take it to my mechanic and say get a "strut assembly"?

One thing to point out if your doing the work yourself, its easier to get the whole Strut Assembly. There is a bit less work to do and a little safer, quicker to put in. Especially if you on your back working on Jack-stands.

If you take it to a shop they will have a greater amount of tools at their disposal. The can also work on a hoist, usually have a 20-ton press to compress the springs, impact air. With those tools its alot easier and if the guy is experience he can probably replace the shock portion and reuse the springs in the same time the guy working under a tree does the whole strut.

Hard to say what it would cost . . . a shop will charge a little more for parts, hard to say what they would do for labor, it might be the same price either way. If doing it yourself only cost are those struts where the price only vary by parts store, fleabay etc. i'd price it out, ask the shop how much would they want to do just the strut and how much for a 'ready strut', and if you brought your own ready strut in how much? (some shops will not let you bring your own parts for liability reasons).
more ideas for you.

Oh, and brand, i put on OEM few years back, very stiff truck like ride. I'd vote for Monroe Selectrac's, got over 100k on my heep with them and great smooth soft ride, yet firm when the going gets rough.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back