Project - "Rock Trac" Restoration | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project - "Rock Trac" Restoration

Well the original plan when I bought John's truck was to go ahead and disassemble it and use it for parts for mine. I decided instead to go ahead and keep it together and replace what needed to be replaced, and mine can still stay the road queen that it is hah.

So I thought I'd post up some pictures so far....

How the Trac stood when we arrived to pick her up.

Another...

Getting her loaded up on my Tahoe...

Randall trying to figure out where we can stuff more of the parts that go with her...

Kris double checking Randall's tie down work to make sure it doesn't fly off while we're driving back home :)

Late night entry into the garage after a very long haul to Houston and back home - Large thanks for Kris and Randall for all their help

Current status in my garage

As you can see, a little bit of rust, but we'll go ahead and go over that with some good old rustolem

Header panel on the drivers side cracked and full of holes - hard to keep the headlamp/turn signal and fender back on it

New header panel next

New header panel in my make shift paint booth haha

Needed a new fan clutch

Had to cut the fan shroud off to get the fan clutch off - as John taught me the correct way to rebuild our plastic parts on our Trac's haha - Zip Ties!

More to come as I get further into it. Plan is for this Sunday, Kris will be coming over to assist me in taking the superlift off the front and dropping it back down to original suspension up front as the superlift knuckles are ruined.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I know it's been a while. And there's a reason. Long story short, Trac had to be pulled out of a tight spot and rolled.

agase8et.jpg

de2a3e5a.jpg

9usajuda.jpg

uqu7uva4.jpg

3y2evy4e.jpg

Anyone want to donate some parts for the rebuild?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Welcome to the rollover posse. What's all it need to get back on the road/ trail? Looking on my phone just looks like a driver side mirror and taillight to make it legal. What's twisted, suspension??

Sorry to hear that you rolled. Thankfully you're ok and the Sport Trac is fixable:chug:

If I had Sport Trac parts to donate I surely would.

..:scratch:..It's gained some added Character..

..Wheel it..:D

..and Kudo's for not breaking any of the glass..(mirrors don't count, they're expendable)..:biggthump

No actual suspension damage or frame from what I can tell. It did break an axle shaft and hub but that broke before and that's why it was stuck lol. All body damage. Need both mirrors, both tailamps, new windshield.

On the list to actually replace with the above mentioned items, bed, left fender, hood and left front door.

As far as the roll over, it was being pulled out from being stuck in quite a crappy spot, and luckily it just flopped over into a ditch type situation so it avoiding crushing the roof.

Once I decide on what I'm doing with the body, I'm definitely taking back to the place that did the axle swap and going to have them make some new bumpers for it - potentially an skeletal cage around it as well. Up in the air on that last part.

Well I went and put the deposit down on the Trac so they'll start working on it. I decided on having everything fixed, they're going to make her look brand new. Still need to find a tailgate though, the price they quoted for a used one was way more than I wanted to pay.

They'll be sending me photos of the progress, so when I get those I'll post up.

Who needs new parts, leave the battle scars. Lol

and everyone knows how good aftermarket body panels fit. they dont. looking forward to seeing how it comes back together. any plans for a skeleton now?

It'd be cool for the skeletal cage but with with I'm spending on having it all fixed I may pass on it for awhile. Once it's done at the shop where she's at, she'll go back to the place that did her SAS and I'll have custom front and rear bumpers made.

Good the see things are getting fixed. It's going to have a pretty new painted fender, door and hood but the rest is going be old and faded, correct, except for the bed.

By the way, what ever happened to the fiberglass fenders and bedsides John had on it long ago? I know they were pretty smashed up.

I'm having the entire truck fixed and painted, so it'll all look brand new. Doors, cab corners etc. Going to look awesome.

As far as the fiberglass fenders and bedsides, John had given to a guy he new that could fix them long long time ago in exchange for doing computer work for that guy. Dude disappeared and so did the fenders and bedsides lol.

O.k., figured they'd be long gone by now. I may end up buying a pair of front fenders to cover the wheels and tires after my SAS. The recentered H1 double beadlocks and 37's stick out a bit further then I was anticipating. I'll be removing the bed so I'll just build the steel tube bed with side sliders out over them.

Can't wait to see the truck all redone.

Back