1994 Aerostar. Electrical system charging issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Aerostar. Electrical system charging issues.

Smoke

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Aerostar XLT
Hi all (my first thread/posting)

I have a 94 Aerostar with the following history/issues.

Several months back after sitiing in a parking lot for a couple of hours it would not crank. It just clicked. After trying many times, just BEFORE we attached jumper cables it started up for no aparent reason. Drove it to the garage, and all electrical checked out fine. Had no truoble for quite some time. It happened again several weeks later. This time I replaced the battery. Seemed to fix the problem.

June 5 we hit the road for a long, several-week, 3000-mile, road trip. No issues first 1000 miles or so, then started getting intermittent CHECK ENG lights. We are pulling a small cargo trailer and there seems to be a small exhaust leak as well. I assume the CHECK ENG and exhaust leak sound is related. Had the light checked out and told there were several codes, but none that needed immediate attention. Seems to accord with the exhaust leak theory regading the CHECK ENG light.

Two days ago we get the CHECK ENG light several times. Then the ABS light and then the volt meter starts dancing around violently before it pegs to the left and the gas guage goes INOP. It kept running. We pulled into a Ford dealer who diagnoses a shorted out battery. We replace the battery and it seemed to take care of the problem. Things seemed good all day yesterday (drove the whole day) except that the volt meter indicated around 10v and would still dance around a bit. No other bad indications, until...

Today started getting all the above (CHECK ENG, volt meter to the left, gas guage INOP) as well as the odometer went blank. It kept running the entire time, so I drove to a hotel, turned it off, and now it won't crank. I just got a click when I tried, although after letting it sit for a couple of hours the volt meter now shows just over 8v and seems to want to crank, but just doesn't have it.

My thoughts:
computer issue?
ignition issue? - I replaced the ignition switch on the steering column a couple of years back and it's never acted exactly right...

Any wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Smoke

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also sounds like a bad Start Lock Relay.

Thanks guys. Swapped out the alt and seems to have taken care of electrical problems.
Now it has developed a very loud belt squeal. Used lotion and belt conditioner without success. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the update! It sounded like it was the alternator. You only heard this noise after replacing the alternator so it might be the bearings in the alternator. Spray the bearings with WD-40 then check to see if the noise goes away or changes.

I had a squealing in mine and threw new pulley and you name it at it only to continue to squeal, the squealing stopped when I replaced the belt.

Sqealing does not stop when bearings are lub'ed. It does stop momentarily when the belt is sprayed with lub though. It comes back in a few seconds though. Sound like a belt replacement issue?

Thanks for the help. The squeal seems to be a pulley issue.

Thanks again!
Smoke

Back