New recall on 4.0 SOHC Engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New recall on 4.0 SOHC Engine

Millarduck

Reaction score
Just took my '98 to the dealer today for an oil change & rotation. They notcied the clicking noise from my engine and told me that the infamous cam tensioners needed to be replaced. Ford recently issued a TSB/recall on these. So the work is now free under an extended warranty for owners of that engine. If you already paid to have the tensioners replaced, Ford will reimburse you if you bring your VIN and paper work. The recall is issued for certain production plants, so that's why the VIN is required. Any Ford dealer with their Oasis system shuld be able to help you get your money back. I also heard that the extension to the warranty only covers the tensioners and possibly the manifold intake too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay here are the details. The "recall" is referenced as "Program 00M12" They replace the intake manifold gaskets & camshaft tensioners. They also replaced my throttle body under Program 99M02. I already had that recall done at my original dealer, but hey it was free.

I took mine in for the tensioners and intake manifold updates under the 00M12 program. Does anyone know if they should be replacing both tensioners? My service manager told me they are only having problems with the left one and that is the only one they would replace. I would have thought they would do both while they had it all apart. It runs great and I have been happy with my dealer but, this didn't make sence to me.

my 2001 explorer sports got loose and the passenger side broke we took the front of the engine off and it looks like the guy i bought it from never changed the oil anyways will they fix the tensioners so i can get it running or is there a way i can find a 4.0 sohc manufactured date was 3/2000 vin e with 4x4 i am having a real hard time trying to find that engine any help would be great thanks,Robert

what i would like to do since my luck is that its expired

i wanted to put an 02 03 or newer 4.0 sohc with 4x4 in it what would work the best and what would i have to change i do want to get it to mount right up to the trans since it still good much thanks in advance,Robert

off the subject but how do i create a new thread because i want to post for a new engine mine seized

Will an 4.0 OHV fit where my SOHV was? What type of issues can I expect in the swap? Thanks!!!

Will an 4.0 OHV fit where my SOHV was? What type of issues can I expect in the swap? Thanks!!!

Yes, it would, with some minor issues. You need to research it a bit BEFORE buying a motor. There is a thread on here somewhere with all the info. Do a search.

However, it's a bad idea. You're going backwards. The SOHC is a much better motor. It's more powerful (about 50hp more), and more fuel efficient. Sure it has timing chain tensioner issues, but it's really it's only negative. The OHV's aren't perfect. They have poor top-end oiling, which leads to premature pushrod/rocker arm wear. Granted, it's easier to fix than the SOHC timing chain.

Given proper maintenance, the SOHC's can live a long happy life. Use good synthetic oil (5w30-NOT anything thicker). Also, a member on here, "CDW..."(I can't remember the rest of his ID), suggests that changing the chain TENSIONERS at regular intervals (60-70k), much like a timing belt in many cars, will go a long way towards keeping the motor in good shape. Also, when you now buy replacement timing components (new chain, guides,tensioners,etc...), the guides are an updated design/material that is more durable. This is the design/material that was used in the '03-'10 Mustang 4.0L SOHC(which will swap as a long block with the older Explorer SOHC).

u got to be kidding me another recall. i have to wait and see if i get a letter from ford in the mail. maybe it came and i dunno cause i am in the bay area visiting. i am not home in so cali to check my mail.

i will be coming back on the 12th or 13th to newport beach

What are you talking about? This thread is VERY old. There is no new recall(s) for the SOHC.

oh my god i feel so stupid right now i didnt even look at that date stupid me

1 decade later...

I took mine in for the tensioners and intake manifold updates under the 00M12 program. Does anyone know if they should be replacing both tensioners? My service manager told me they are only having problems with the left one and that is the only one they would replace. I would have thought they would do both while they had it all apart. It runs great and I have been happy with my dealer but, this didn't make sence to me.

My 98 had the tensioner failed on the left, unfortunately I did not find out about the TSB until after it failed (129,000) miles . RH timing chain is in the back on that engine, they are symetrical. since that tensioner was not having the problem, they have to pull the engine to swap the RH chain, they won't.

My 98 had the tensioner failed on the left, unfortunately I did not find out about the TSB until after it failed (129,000) miles . RH timing chain is in the back on that engine, they are symetrical. since that tensioner was not having the problem, they have to pull the engine to swap the RH chain, they won't.

Is this OLD recall still live? I don't think we've had it done yet.

Given proper maintenance, the SOHC's can live a long happy life. Use good synthetic oil (5w30-NOT anything thicker). Also, a member on here, "CDW..."(I can't remember the rest of his ID), suggests that changing the chain TENSIONERS at regular intervals (60-70k), much like a timing belt in many cars, will go a long way towards keeping the motor in good shape. Also, when you now buy replacement timing components (new chain, guides,tensioners,etc...), the guides are an updated design/material that is more durable. This is the design/material that was used in the '03-'10 Mustang 4.0L SOHC(which will swap as a long block with the older Explorer SOHC).

Somebody in another thread says this is a minimum $2000 job requiring the pulling of the engine and transmission. If he's right, that sounds like a lot for every 60-70k maintenance

Is this OLD recall still live? I don't think we've had it done yet.

Your about 15 years late. It was only a small extension to the warranty.

It's also the tensioners that should be replaced every 60k, not all the guides. I am a fan of leaving it all along until there is an issue.

Somebody in another thread says this is a minimum $2000 job requiring the pulling of the engine and transmission. If he's right, that sounds like a lot for every 60-70k maintenance
No.This almost 20 year old thread is regarding the EXTERNAL front hydraulic timing chain tensioner and the long expired 00M12 factory recall or TSB. There is another hydraulic tensioner on the rear underside of the passenger side cylinder head. Replacing them is no guarantee to subdue or stop the rattle if the plastic guides are deteriorated, worn, or damaged..

Google Custom Search.

http://www.bbbind.com/tsb-wiring-diagrams-database-results/?type=TSB&years=2001&make=52&makeDesc=Ford&model=1586&modelDesc=Explorer Sport Trac&system=12&systemDesc=Gasoline Engines&docid=6633213

Almost all the info you will ever need regarding the 4.0L SOHC engine. Search is your friend and good luck.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263665

As I always say if it is ONLY rattling on startup
Install a pre oiler and never worry again

99% of the time the guides break on cold start while the rattling is happening

Winter is coming watch the forum the guide braking season is upon us lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I always say if it is ONLY rattling on startup
Install a pre oiler and never worry again

99% of the time the guides break on cold start while the rattling is happening

Winter is coming watch the forum the guide braking season is upon us lol

I don't think I have any rattling. So I think I'm going to get a pre oiler. I followed the link you provided, to the pre oiler you installed. Which size tank did you get? A,C,D,E?

-Peter

Back