• Register Today It's free!

Rough IDLE P0172 and P0174 Codes

chloedad

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Last week my Explorer began running rough. I had multiple misfire codes (300, 301, 302, 303, 316, etc.) I replaced all my wires, plugs, MAF, and crank shaft sensor. It still idles rough, more so after the engine gets warmed up. A little history about this vehicle....I put a new transmission in the vehicle approximately 30K miles ago and a new (used motor 58K) in it last August (22K miles ago). This motor now has about 80k on it.

I am now getting a P0172 Bank 1 Rich and a P0174 Bank 2 Lean codes. Any ideas. Also when I accelerate hard I hear the timing chain (so thought about changing the tensioner?). As much as I love this vehicle I am about ready to throw it in the river. I had to have the computer reprogrammed a few weeks ago since after I changed the battery the computer would no longer recognize the key.

But any thoughts on what I am getting now with the rich and lean codes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last week my Explorer began running rough. I had multiple misfire codes (300, 301, 302, 303, 316, etc.) I replaced all my wires, plugs, MAF, and crank shaft sensor. It still idles rough, more so after the engine gets warmed up. A little history about this vehicle....I put a new transmission in the vehicle approximately 30K miles ago and a new (used motor 58K) in it last August (22K miles ago). This motor now has about 80k on it. I am now getting a P0172 Bank 1 Rich and a P0174 Bank 2 Lean codes. Any ideas. Also when I accelerate hard I hear the timing chain (so thought about changing the tensioner?). As much as I love this vehicle I am about ready to throw it in the river. I had to have the computer reprogrammed a few weeks ago since after I changed the battery the computer would no longer recognize the key. But any thoughts on what I am getting now with the rich and lean codes?

A clogged catalytic converter can cause all kinds of problems like that by increasing the amount of back pressure. This has been a problem for a lot of people lately. Our Explorers are getting to the age where a lot of things start to wear out.

Take it to a reputable muffler shop and they'll check it for free. It can be expensive to replace them. However if you live somewhere that doesn't have emissions testing like I do, you can hollow them out or have them replaced with a piece of open pipe instead. Keep in mind that the "reputable" shops won't do that for you though... "TECHNICALLY" it's "illegal".

As far as the tensioner is concerned, pop off the valve covers and check for slack in the chains. If there is any, you've got another "fun" project.

Last week my Explorer began running rough. I had multiple misfire codes (300, 301, 302, 303, 316, etc.) I replaced all my wires, plugs, MAF, and crank shaft sensor. It still idles rough, more so after the engine gets warmed up.I am now getting a P0172 Bank 1 Rich and a P0174 Bank 2 Lean codes. Any ideas. Also when I accelerate hard I hear the timing chain (so thought about changing the tensioner?). As much as I love this vehicle I am about ready to throw it in the river. I had to have the computer reprogrammed a few weeks ago since after I changed the battery the computer would no longer recognize the key.

But any thoughts on what I am getting now with the rich and lean codes?
Rich and lean codes usually are the result of vacuum leaks. They are also the reason why you are getting multiple misfire codes. Before you throw another part at it. Check and make sure all the vacuum lines and intact and there are no leaks.

Is it harmful to drive it like this? Will it harm the vehicle?

Is it harmful to drive it like this? Will it harm the vehicle?

well for one thing misfiring mean throwing raw fuel into the cat converter which will likely burn it out and will require you replacing it if you continue to drive.
Also your fuel economy will go down with a misfire.

Well, I took it to a more upscale mechanic to have it "properly" diagnosed. Basically they have said that it is something internal on the passenger side of the motor. No leaks, no converter issues.....It is disappointing since this motor only has 80k miles on it.

Well, I took it to a more upscale mechanic to have it "properly" diagnosed. Basically they have said that it is something internal on the passenger side of the motor. No leaks, no converter issues.....It is disappointing since this motor only has 80k miles on it.

Did they check for proper Camshaft timing? What year is your Explorer?
I'm having a similar issue with a 2004 that I picked up on a deal about 2 weeks ago. I have eliminated everything but the camshaft timing and will do that soon. (I just remembered that I have not tried to diagnose the Fuel Injectors!) My special Cam tools arrived today (And I have heard nothing but static from the wife!) so I can start on that tomorrow, if I have the ambition. There is a TSB in effect for Explorers/Mountaineers built before 10/11/2004 exhibiting this behavior, which involves a re-flash of the PCM to a later firmware revision.

Edit; I posted information on codes p0171 and p0174. The information was incorrect in regards to your issue because your codes are p0172 and p0174

Edit; I posted information on codes p0171 and p0174. The information was incorrect in regards to your issue because your codes are p0172 and p0174

No problem....I'm making more mistakes with this vehicle than I have ever made before, it seems! LOL

Back