Am I getting BS'd here???

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
I have been really patient with the repair shop that has my 93 Sport. The guys son towed it to the shop and when letting it down off the tow truck it wouldn't budge so the kid kicked it really hard and something snapped. Well the something was my output shaft on my 5spd tranny.

The shop is now telling me that he has done a lot of calling around and it's like 1200 for a rebuild. As far as I know no tranny shop has looked at it, and they are telling him that they can't just replace the output shaft because more likely there is more damge internally in the tranny.

The shop has had my Ex since February and he kept promissing to pull the tranny and get it to a tranny shop. I bet the damn tranny is still under the truck. He said even a used tranny locally was 1,000. I doubt that!!

I am half tempted to just have the Explorer towed to my house and do the work on it myself. I've got the new t-case for it at home anyway. He told me to just go see if I could find a new or rebuilt tranny and he'd slap it in and get me on my way.

Am I getting BS'd here???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why are they charging you for something they broke? Don't they owe you money?

If so, I'd take the money and repair myself, you'll probably have money left over for mods.

Brian

The guy actually kicked your car? And they expect you to pay for repairs?

Don't give them time to ignore you anymore. Just get on their case until they get it fixed, and stay on their case to make sure it gets fixed right.

You shouldn't be paying for the repairs if the kid kicked and broke it himself, make the shop fix it under their cost.

What do you mean the kid kicked it? Did he kick the tires trying to losen it up and then broke the shaft, I've never seen someone kick a vehicle to get it off a flatbed (which I assume it was on being that you said they were lowering it off), and I wouldn't think you'd kick it hard enough to break the output shaft.

Do this if they wont replace what they broke:
1) Kick the kid and break his "shaft"
2) Bring the truck back to your house and fix it, sounds like a shady place if they want you to cover the repairs that they caused.

Well I don't know how I could fleece himfor some $$$. He is now trying to tell me that the damage was not caused by the tow truck. I'm just fed up with the whole mess and ready to take back my truck and do it myself.

I have been waiting for over 1 1/2 months for him to call me with the estimate for repair or replacement of the tranny. I've been busy working on my trail rig and I have another vehicle to drive so I was in no hurry. But then the next thing you know many months have passed.

Oh some background. I pulled into a parking space and had a lot on my mind. I forgot to turn of the vehicle and took my foot off the clutch. It lurched forward and died, but apparently in the process it busted some stuff in my t-case which was going anyway. The bind from the t-case snapped the output shaft when it was pulled on the tow truck and lowered off it.

What do you all think about this crap about not just replacing the tranny output shaft. When it happened I checked on this site and everyone seemed to say the output shaft could just be replaced. What is the probability that the internals of the tranny was damaged?

I would be fairly certain that you can just change the shaft and be ok. When things like this happen the weakest link breaks. You say that you have a new tcase anyway so just change it.

You shouldn't be paying for the repairs if the kid kicked and broke it himself, make the shop fix it under their cost.

Well here's the tricky part. The kid that owns the tow truck company, is the son of the repair shop. So they are two different businesses. And yes he kicked the bumper 4-5 times really hard. I was just walking up to him when I heard the metal snap. I said well something is definitely broke now!!

Hey I've got the broken part of the output shaft here on my desk I'll see if I can get a pic up.

Originally posted by AlaskanJack
So they are two different businesses.

Well, in that case, just get the tow truck company to pay for the repair, if that's who the kid was working for when he broke it.

The kid owns the tow truck company, well one tow truck. But I'm sure he is backed financially by his dad. The dad is saying the tow truck wasn't responsible for any damage. So the repair shop is clearing the tow company of any liability.

jack,

the towing company is responsible. it doesn't matter who is whose son or daddy. you said you heard the snap, as he kicked your bumper. no reason for you to pay the price for someone else's negligence. it would seem as though the towing company should have insurance, no?

start busting their chops. keep telling them THEY (father/son) have to make this right.

did you kick your truck?

last resort: small claims court (up to $3000)

Back