2003 Sport Trac 4.0 Smell oil burning? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Sport Trac 4.0 Smell oil burning?

krs_med

Reaction score
City, State
South carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
I keep smelling oil burning smell. I cant find a leak, and there isn't any spot's of oil on ground. Any ideas were to start looking for the problem? TIA
Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd be surprised if it is an actual oil pressure gauge. Ford changed to a strange system quite a while back. They feed the "gauge" with a sensor that's either open or closed - the same type used for an oil pressure light. If you have pressure, it reads in the normal range on the gauge. If you have low pressure it reads none. In your situation, you could have low oil pressure, but that's not my first guess.
carobd2shop.com

The gauge is always in the med range. SC what you are saying is I could have a bad oil pressure gauge or a engine problem? Its a 2003 Sport Trac with 130,000 miles. I have all the maint. records from the first owner. he was very good it have every thing in the owners manual done at the recommended times.
Thanks Keith

Check for valve cover gaskets weeping oil onto the headers.

Also, check oil filter gasket gone bad. I just changed mine. Did the same thing, smell oil burning.

I had similar problem and have around same miles as you. It was the driver side valve cover gasket dripping oil on the exhaust manifold, I changed it and now its fine. I am still yet to do the passenger side valve cover, but I plan to tackle it soon as well cause I noticed it was dripping as well. Overtime they get hardened and brittle and start to leak, at least thats what happened to mine.

Thanks for the info. Find time to make repairs, and needed up keep now

I have all the maint. records from the first owner. he was very good it have every thing in the owners manual done at the recommended times.

Back