How much torque on intake manifold bolts ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much torque on intake manifold bolts ???

vapester

Reaction score
City, State
Harbor City, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport SOHC
...hello, I just removed my upper and lower intake and have the O-ring gaskets ready. I was wondering if anyone knows how much i need to torque the intake and upper intake bolts to reinstall. Any help is appreciated, thanks. John

My Explorer 1998 4.0 SOHC was vibrating, like a rough idle mainly in drive with the car at a stop. I changed the motor mounts and tranny mount. It looks like hopefully this will help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dunno exactly but NOT much.. the surface those screws are biting on are aluminum and are very easy to strip. I would use a 1/4" socket driver to minimize the torque applied.

I don't have a 98 manual but 2000 says:

13 lb-ft on the lower manifold bolts
62 lb-in (about 5 lb-ft) on the uppers

I don't have a 98 manual but 2000 says:

13 lb-ft on the lower manifold bolts
62 lb-in (about 5 lb-ft) on the uppers

ok, i'll try that. Thanks. One thing that kinda got me wondering here is when I got the intakes off, i was vacuuming the engine up as it was very dirty, I found a small brass plug with the same star type design, about 1/4 long. Don't know when or how that fell in there. Maybe Ford really did change the cam tensioner and dropped it, i dunno, guess i'll look around again tomorrow.

....OUCH !!! I tried 5 lbs. on the uppers and snapped the first bolt !? Dam I hate when that happens. I'm gonna go back to Ford tomorrow and get another one. Actually I called Ford and they said they had a few, only to go down there and they said they ain't got any and you can only order them by the set at 7 bucks a pop. So another Ford a little bit further out has some........ahh well. I could try a hardware store like my buddy says but I have a feeling that will be a wild goose chase.

1/4" drive socket :D -- you just barely need to torque on it.

..I did use a 1/4 " socket !!!!! ...........only it was an adapter on my 3/8 torque wrench :confused: So I reset it to 1 lb and it still felt like it was beginning to overload, so yeah, that's when I went with the itty bitty 1/4 ratchet. I left the front middle one out until I get a new one tomorrow. Hopefully I didn't over torque the lowers, everything seems fine.

....OUCH !!! I tried 5 lbs. on the uppers and snapped the first bolt !?
Torque wrenches are very nonlinear and therefore inaccurate at the low end of the range. The factory spec is given in lb-in so you can use an lb-in torque wrench in the middle part of its range.

Back