How to go to smaller snow tire and keep aspect ratio the same? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to go to smaller snow tire and keep aspect ratio the same?

2014 Explorer Sport - 20" rims. I live on a steep mountain road and have slipped off the road twice with all season tires. I want to buy snow tires and have been told by two tire stores I will not be happy with snow tires on 20" rims. I cannot find information on keeping the aspect ratio constant when going to a smaller and narrower tire. The only chart I could find on the site does not go up to current models.

Thanks...

245/65/17 and 245/60r18 are shown as tire options

The tire stores you went to might not be able to get snow tires in that size.

I suspect you would be VERY happy with dedicated snow tires, in 20 inch sizes, or smaller sizes if they will fit and you're willing to buy some wheels to go with them.

17, 18, or eve 19 inch wheels, if they fit the application, can be a good option, both for cost savings and to get a slightly narrower tire with more sidewall, which can give more traction in snow and make it easier to "cut through" deep snow than a wider tire.

The newer Explorer has some limited capability due to height and the drivetrain, so you might be perfectly happy just getting another set of 20 inch wheels, putting the same size tire on there that you have now, just in a dedicated winter tire, and enjoying better traction and safety during the cold winter months.

Back