• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer + junkyard sub

elrothir

Reaction score
City, State
KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 XLT
I've got a 98 Explorer that didn't have the Mach audio system in it. I added an amp and sub several years ago, but have the amp just sitting on the floor of the back cargo bay. REALLY in the way. I'd built my own enclosure for the sub and put it where the sub normally goes(passenger side wheel well).
I recently replaced the stock HU with a new one and everything is working fine. I'd really like to get the amp out of the way, so I found an Explorer at the junkyard and pulled the sub and amp(they're both mounted to the sub box).

The amp looks like it has an input that has 6 wires coming in. (I got the wiring harness from the junkyard too, but the colors don't seem to match the wiring diagrams here.) Will I be able to run Power/Ground/In+/In-/Remote on to that amp? Is it worth using that amp?

Thanks for any help!
elrothir

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would just use your current amp, the OEM enclosure, and your current sub, if it will fit, and the air space is within spec. It going to be a hassle to attempt to hook up the OEM wiring, just for mediocre results.

It would be better and less hassle to just use a aftermarket amp. The stock amp does not sound great.
I have a 99 EB with the mach audio system and want to replace mine with a aftermarket amp

I've done it, hooked up factory amp and sub. The factory amp barely puts out any power, and the sub is terrible. Try mounting your amp behind the panel or buy a small amp that'll fit there, and put a sub into that enclosure.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! That definitely saves me some time struggling with it.

No problem. I gave up on the factory sub box and just put in a nice pioneer sub preloaded in a box. Sounds great and fits just behind the back seat.

I'm always hauling something so the amp is getting in the way. Always have to unhook everything and pull it out when I need the space. Looking forward to getting it in the wheel well to free up the space.

Back