Which subwoofer for use with factory amp? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which subwoofer for use with factory amp?

toddious

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
winter park, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited 4x4
I am trying to replace the factory subwoofer while continuing to use the factory amp in my 2004 explorer.

The factory subwoofer is a Dual Voice Coil 60w + 60w (1.2 ohm + 1.2ohm). There are 2 outputs coming from the amp into the subwoofer.

Would I be better to use:
1. 4ohm SIngle Voice Coil subwoofer - then bridge the amp (one negative from amp, one positive from amp - capping off the extra positive/negative)

2. Dual Voice 2ohm subwoofer - wired to both connection on amp

Any help is appreciate. Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you look at the power wire to the amp, you'll realize it's pretty weak. IMO, any aftermarket sub you hook up will sound horrible if using the factory amp.

Is your factory sub bad?

I still haven't done anything. I'm planning to just buy an upgraded sub with low power requirements (50-200w) and try it first with the factory amp to see how it sounds. Worst case I will buy a low power amp (maybe 150w) and use it on the same sub with the factory wiring. The first JL 8w0 I bought on eBay was blown, so now my car is disassembled waiting for me to buy a replacement.

I just have an 8" kicker with a Kicker 250.1 (250 watt) amp.
And a Kenwood stereo and I forget what speakers (all previous owner upgrades.)

But compared to my '05 with stock everything (including sub) it's a HUGE difference. Stock amp/sub vs new small amp and better sub aren't even in the same league.

I used an Excelon KFC-XW800F shallow mount sub with the existing factory amp. It sounds great! I put new Pioneer door speakers and a Kenwood HU also. Very happy with this setup.

How much power does the factory sub woofer amp put out on an '07 ST?

Back