Suggestions for running amp power cable through firewall 2003 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suggestions for running amp power cable through firewall 2003 Explorer

jdog0411

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT V-8
Hey everyone,

I am preparing to install a new amplifier in my 2003 Explorer. I need to run the power lead through my firewall and want it to look clean. My question is how the heck do I do that? I've looked down through there and can't find a natural opening to put it through. I wouldn't know where to drill if I had to do that. Anyone done it before and can't point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Behind your emergency brake there should be a rubber grommit. Most people run their wire through there.

Maybe earlier explorers are different....

Ok, I'm going freaking nuts trying to figure out how to run the power lead from my battery through the firewall on my 2003 Explorer. I've been told that where the parking brake cable runs through would be a good place, but it is difficult to get through from both inside and outside the vehicle. Everything in the engine compartment is so crammed in there that I can't see a good place to run it. There isn't a grommet visible from inside the vehicle, it runs through some thick grey padding and it is difficult to remove the padding to see what's behind. Does anyone have any ideas because I am becoming pretty frustrated....thanks. :fire:

Dude, step back. drink a Dew and think about it a sec. Follow the cable from the emergency brake. It HAS to go through the firwall. Yes you may have to get under the truck to pull it through but the grommet is there, under the brake booster.
Just punch a hole in the grommet big enough to push the wire through from the inside and feed 10 feet of it out :) I promise you will see it when you get out of the car and look under it ;)

Btw, run at least 4 guage and run it back to a common point and put in a distribution block. It will save you from haviing to do this again in the future. I ran mine back to the passenger side behind the rear seat. Lots of room there.

I'll be doing this really soon. How did it work out for you, jdog?

Hey I just gone done with my install. I ran 1/0 wire and didn't want to share a grommet nor did I really see a good one to use so I drilled a hole and used a new grommet right next to where the steering shaft goes thru the firewall. In my 2003 alot of the other grommets were covered by a black plastic trim piece but this was easy to get to from either side.

You are going thru more than 1 layer of sheet metal though. This plate where the steering shaft passes is reinforced and you need to make sure you have a nice beefy grommet to protect your wire.

Edit: Holy Crap I just realized how old this thread was....

I drilled a whole on passenger side. Removed the carpet and insulation, and theres a crapload of room. And the same spot in my engine bay is open too. Its a 3/4 inch hole, with a grommet i bought on it.

Honestly i run all my auxilery lights and switches through it, and i figured its best i make a big and accessible hole then try to force it through on the driver side grommets...

I found a great path for running wires through the firewall on my '02 XLT that should provide you with plenty of room to run wire.

This is the view from the engine compartment. The access is behind the brake booster. Look behind the brake booster and down and you will see it:

picture.php

This is the view from inside the Ex. Follow the brake pedal up to the firewall and look to the left. The red arrow points to the piece that you peel back and the black arrow points to the grommet:

picture.php

Hope this helps out!! :biggthump

For any folks coming across this thread, I would like to add that on my 2003 Sport Trac, the grommet was actually for the shifter cable, not parking brake.

Works out well. For me anyway.

Back