What dash kit and wiring harness do I need for 06? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What dash kit and wiring harness do I need for 06?

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Picking up an 06 tomorrow, and have my Pioneer double din radio id like to get in ASAP. Stock radio sucked!

As far as I know, theres no sub. No steering wheel controls either, just a basic MP3/CD player.

I read that to retain the RAP (delayed accesories) that PAC sells an expensive adapter, but ill just wire the ignition lead into the fusebox like everyone else has done. What are the benefits of that module aside from keeping the RAP feature? I hope theres more than just that for $60.

It was a nightmare shopping for the correct parts for my 09 Edge, 10 different wiring harnesses, Sync, reverse sensors, aux/usb inputs in the console, steering wheel controls. Some harnesses were over $200, until I went out on a limb and found the normal basic $10 harness I needed.

What harness/antenna adapter and dash kit do I need? (I ask about dash kits because the internet is showing me 2 or 3 different ones for double dins)

Thanks! :salute:

Edit- Might have answered my own question. Finally got on the Metra site (wasn't loading for me last night) and seems as if the dash kit, harness and antenna adapter are all the same as my Edge. Would definitely be awesome if they are, talk about plug & play!

Get the metra nav kit as well. It will run you 40 bucks but you will retain your speed sensor, dash lights, parking brake signal, reverse and a few other minor functions as well as it makes the job piles easier. These factory stereos use a can-bus signal to the stereo to control everything and it needs to be converted to analog to work properly with aftermarket rigs.

What's the need to retain those features for? My unit automatically dims so I'm not worried about retaining that, and I'm just gonna do that mod I saw a few other member do, tapping into a fuse with the RAP to use as my switched lead.

Do you mean that if I don't use that harness, my dash lights won't work among other stuff? Or is it just for the headunit?

I swapped the radio out last night with my Pioneer, dash kit fit perfect, and the wire harness worked as well. The only thing I lost (until I have a day off to work on it) is the R.A.P. feature.

Anyone know what the second small harness is for? My radio (single disc, non-nav) had a wide plug and a smaller plug aside from the antenna. The wide one supplies my Pioneer with power, speakers, etc. Im wondering if theres any RAP wires in that harness I could tap into.

Back