New aggressive rubber on 2nd gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got these Goodyear Wrangler Authority 265/75 16 for my 00 ex zit. Made by Goodyear for Walmart and cost just $166/per tire. 265/75 should just fit with no lift but with such deep aggressive tread they do rub on occasion even with my 2" tt/shackle lift. I expect no trouble in the NE snow this year :)

4a15e12886fc7e72906b9f8308f4e1ef.jpg

dde04e4db96b6f35f6ad966121ab6604.jpg

3414365ff9157ea528edf8ca96e9d446.jpg

921a2b08377d24869b6b2aeafffd1510.jpg

f376900ff2e5d062e4a51445acfdb30c.jpg

I don't want to seem like a dick, but the Authorities are not that great. I've heard numerous bad things about them..
They're basically a cheap version of the duratracs made for Walmart only, and aren't as high performance as the duratracs.

Here in Canada, Goodyear makes a knockoff of the Duratrac called the Territory (Sold at Canadian Tire), it performs much better than the authority, even though it's still a knock off. The thread on the Territory is a closer design to the original duratrac.

Other than that though, they should be good enough for you in the Winter down there. And they look great, regardless. Tell me how they work out for you, since all I've heard so far are complaints. :)

Just for comparison.. Duratrac on the top, Territory on the bottom.
Wrangler_DuraTrac_Front_354.jpg
X52q93yl.jpg

Yea, I've had bad experiences with Walmart specials before.Viva 2 were the worst I've ever owned. I generally buy Coopers. I've had 4 or 5 sets and loved them all. I was going to buy Cooper STT but they were out of stock most places.

Most reviews for the Authoritys were great, wich i took with a grain of salt because they are on the cheaper side and most people who buy cheep things review them very high in a forum of self justification. However they don't seam cheaply made to me. Only time will tell.

We get some horrible winters here in upstate NY, Buffalo just got 8 feet in three days! And my explorer is not my daily driver, it's a toy. So I wanted something tough for off-road and virtually unstoppable in snow. With tread that deep I can't imagine these not being great in snow and mud the only question is if they are tough enough to resist puncture when on a trail.

Back