• Register Today It's free!

Frustrated Explorer Owner

bkybu3474

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer
Hello, I am a new member and a very frustrated Explorer Owner. I have a 2001 Ford Explorer and I am having a very tough time getting any info about how to fix a multiple misfire problem I am having. I have replaced virtually EVERY part on this truck and can not figure out why I still have multiple misfires. Can some one help me trouble shoot and fix my problem? I would really appreciate some assistance from someone with knowledge and patience.
Thank You
Becky

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome Becky!

Do you have any trouble codes that have been pulled?

Thank you for replying! I did have a code but I don't remember the number, I just know that it was #4 and #5 spark plug. I have replaced the plugs, wires, and coil pack several times and no resolution.

What brand/type of plugs, wires, and coilpacks did you use? Did you re-gap the plugs before installing them?

If you can have the codes read again, that would help a lot...

I have replaced the spark plugs about 3 times. First we used Bosch then Champion and now we have AC Delco. The wires are now are Autolite I think or maybe AC Delco, The coil pack, I really can't remember of the top of my head.
As for the spark plugs, yes, he did gap them to the specs in the manual. We purchased a Haynes manual but we aren't getting the info we from it.

I wouldn't worry about gaping, although sometimes they really come without the proper gap. I would look into sensors, mass air flow or iac. I have had cars sound like this with those going out. Best if you can get another trouble signal.

which engine?

It would help if you provided your engine type.
Did the spark plugs look normal when you replaced them?
Have you performed a compression check?
Have you tried adding a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to the fuel tank? If not, I suggest Techron.

check compression, examine plugs, when removed, for condition, make sure there is no intake gasket leakage, check fuel injectors.
Rough guess without engine info.

Back