Parking brake handle is broken.

Essex4x4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Johnston Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan
Yesterday I went to pull the parking break release handle and the plastic end literally broke apart in my hand. All I did was pull it as usual and the black plastic end piece fell apart into 4 pieces. Has this happened to anyone else here? I have no intention on buying the part to fix this, seems like a waste of money to me, but if anyone has any cheap ideas I'm all up for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that sux i hate when that happens

HA sucks doesnt even begin to describe how i felt. I mean Come on my truck is only 3 years old, and its falling apart in my hands??

This happened to my 97 Sport after 11 years. Actually, it was done by CarMax when they were test driving my truck for trade-in (don’t get me started). Since they refused to fix it, here is what I did. BTW, the mechanism is the same on my 08 Mountaineer.

I went to the local junk yard and bought the entire parking brake mechanism, pedal, springs, release lever, and all for $25. All you care about is the pull handle, attached rod, and dashboard mounting bracket.

At the end of the rod attached to the handle is a rivet. Score a cross on the head of the rivet using a Dremel cut-off wheel. Then using (I think) a 1/4" drill bit, drill out the rivet. Now you'll have just what you need.

Find or go to the hardware store and get a @ 1/4" diameter by 1/2" long screw with a matching friction nut (the ones with the vinyl inserts). That is how you'll attach it to the rest of the mechanism still in your truck.

Now repeat the scoring and drilling operation on the parking brake rod/rivet still in your truck. Once separated from the rest of the mechanism, you can unscrew the handle/rod from the dashboard. There are two TORX screws under there. I don't remember the size.

Now just attach your "new" handle/rod into the dash and tighten the TORX screws. Insert the 1/4" by 1/2" screw into the hole on the rod and attached it to the rest of the mechanism, mimicking the rivet you just removed. Tighten the vinyl coated screw just enough so it won't wobble or rattle and you're done.

Much cheaper than the $300 plus installation for an entirely new parking brake mechanism.

Chris

Now if i could only find a junkyard close to me, i have no idea where to look, i will try looking online and in the yellow pages tomorrow. Thank you for the speedy replies so far guys, i might just fix this after all.:D

This also happened to me. The cookies are supposed to crumble not the parking brake release handle.

I'm pulling the bare handle. Do you know how much the part cost?

Well, happened to me now too. I can still operate the brake release with the metal piece that's left, but that sux. All I need is the plastic handle part, but it looks impossible to thread that back on the metal hook. If Ford is going to make the handle so flimsy, they outta make it easily replaceable. More than likely my wife is just letting the handle snap back instead of easing it back in, but the damage is done.

So the whole assembly needs replacing? I'll root around on RockAuto to maybe get a picture of the part.

I work with alot of cars and this is actually quite common on alot of brands. The hood handle breaks in all cars just as much.

RockAuto doesn't list the part. FastPartsNetwork lists the part, but no picture, so hard to be sure what I'd be getting (at $108, I'm not going to 'wing it' either).

Well seeing that this thread came back to life i'll give you all my 411 on how i fixed my parking brake handle. I didn't, i just ignored the broken peice and kept using the metal part, it works fine and its cheap. Didn't cost me a dime, or even a teeny weeny penny.

Checked with the local Ford dealer, and they want $128 for the entire assembly. So I glued it together with superglue gel and put a hose clamp around the 'panhandle' of the handle. IF that don't hold, I guess I'll be using the metal hook too. Annoying, but not worth $128 and a couple hours of screaming at the inside of my car.

Interesting........I purchased a pre-owned '06 in Nov. of '08 and I noticed that they sold it to me with the parking brake handle missing. Lucky for me that I noticed it while it was still under warranty. I don't see how they could have missed it, unless they never tried the parking brake. If they did notice it, I'm sure they were hoping that I wouldn't.

This is kind of bizzare... Seems like Ford has an issue on these- I've never heard of the handle woes. Has anyone gone higher up like to a Ford area rep and gotten a response? I've never had an e-brake handle or hood pull bust apart on any Ford vehicle I've owned... Bad batch, bad supplier, etc? Interesting...

This is kind of bizzare... Seems like Ford has an issue on these- I've never heard of the handle woes. Has anyone gone higher up like to a Ford area rep and gotten a response? I've never had an e-brake handle or hood pull bust apart on any Ford vehicle I've owned... Bad batch, bad supplier, etc? Interesting...
My 96 broke off too. Redrilled a tight hole(measured with a digital caliper), pressed the shaft in with some some plastic epoxy. So far so good.

It looks like this is a known issue.

Technical Service Bulletin TSB 07-17-4:
PARKING BRAKE RELEASE HANDLE BREAKS - VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 12/1/2006

2006-2007 Explorer
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
2006-2007 Mountaineer

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2007 Explorer 4dr, Mountaineer, and 2007 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles built prior to 12/1/2006 may exhibit separation of parking brake release handle. The issue has no effect on brake or parking brake performance.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct condition by replacing the handle.

Part number: 7L2Z-2780-A (Lever Assembly)

Any new developments on this issue? My handle just broke for the 2nd time. 1st time was under warranty. Now I'm stuck. I might just rig something, but suggestions are welcome. I'm thinking I might visit Ace Hardware and see if they have something I can put together. Or, maybe I'll make something out of wood. ???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Geez, I'd forgotten about this. Guess my fix is still working, eh.

Back