Lowering 98 2wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering 98 2wd

MurderedSport

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport 4x4
Hey guys. I own and explorer but my friend was looking at lowering his 1998 2wd ranger about 2-3 inches. So far we have done some research, but I was just double checking if what we were going to do was correct.

We were going to just cut the front springs and do a shackle flip on the rear. I have been searching on different ranger forums and even tried this forum to find a "how to" on shackle flipping but so far I can only find written instructions, no threads with pictures on what they are doing.

Would this method work? Would it need an alignment afterwards or any other modifications when its lowered about 2-3 inches?
Thanks a lot:rangerred:
Also as a side note I will get some pics posted of the ranger once we get the new Edge bed we got from the junkyard painted and put on. It might be a month or so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cutting your front springs will work. When I first got my '00 Ranger I experimented with softer springs in the front, and I played around with ride heights by cutting some of the springs that I installed. It's been said that cutting springs with a torch will mess with the spring's temper, so I used a circular saw with a metal cutting blade.

Although I myself haven't messed with flipping shackles, it wouldn't be all that much work to try it, so if you can't get an answer you should just do it and see if it works.

Cutting your front springs will work. When I first got my '00 Ranger I experimented with softer springs in the front, and I played around with ride heights by cutting some of the springs that I installed. It's been said that cutting springs with a torch will mess with the spring's temper, so I used a circular saw with a metal cutting blade.

Although I myself haven't messed with flipping shackles, it wouldn't be all that much work to try it, so if you can't get an answer you should just do it and see if it works.

If I cut the front springs I won't have to worry about camber issues or alignment right?
Thanks for the reply.

Depending on how far a drop/how much spring you cut you can get into alignment issues.

Does not take much drop to make moving the upper control arm brackets or getting longer upper control arms becomes needed.

Back