• Register Today It's free!

1997 Aerostar RIP

speleopower

Reaction score
City, State
cocoa bch
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Aerostar
I am pretty sure my Aerostar is done. I drove it from central Florida to Georgia and back this past weekend. It ran fine but overheated slightly while in Georgia. I put some coolant in and figured it was a fluke. Drove back and it ran just fine. The following morning I drove to work and it really started overheating so I checked the coolant level. When I popped the hood I could smell a little bit of coolant. Figured a minor radiator leak so not a problem. I have a lifetime warrenty on the radiator. This time I put about 2 gallons of water into the radiator while the engine was running (thinking possible stuck thermostat as well). All was well until the next morning (this past Thursday morning). I started it up and it had a slightly rough idle but it ran just fine. Got about 2 miles from my house and it pinned the temp gauge as overheated. I pulled over and there was no steam or more than a mild coolant smell when I popped the hood.
I pulled the dipstick and the oil was white.... I am assuming there is something wrong with the engine block or head gaskets.
I will not pull the engine on this van due to how difficult it is to get the engine out plus the van is so full of rust it may just fall apart anyway. Had to put roofing tar on the roof to keep the rain out.
RIP '1997 Aerostar. :salute:
I"m heading to the car dealership now for a possible new SUV.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

258000 miles. It rains inside due to so many rust holes. Its time to let it go

Hey,you can find another one. I did .....just keep watching Craigslist. They are worth searching for. don-ohio

I purchased a 2006 Mitsubishi Outlander. I also have a 2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse which has the same engine so it was a good choice for me.
I have had an Aerostar cargo van since 1997.

I'm still seeing a few Aerostars below $2000 around St Louis. Some better than others but you can't beat the value of a versatile vehicle like the Aerostar for that kind of money.

I do not want to try and get the van to run anymore. I would like to sell some of the parts to anyone who is interested. It has a nearly new a/c system, new starter, new sensors and lots of nice interior trim pieces.
If anyone wants any parts make an offer and as long as shipping is paid for I can probably pull the parts. I will take photos and get parts pulled pretty quickly for anyone..
-Scott

What engine does the van have?

3.0L 6 cylinder. It is a cargo van. I was going to post some pics this evening after I get home.

No worries. The van is gone. 18 years of having an Aerostar is over.

Back