Adding Navigation Later | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Navigation Later

Rebecca, one question, is it a software limitation?, meaning that the NAV option is "locked-out" or is the MFT "brain" physically different with and without NAV?
In my mind, all the hardware is there, just the "NAV" option is lock-ed out in the software since we did not agree to pay $700.00 for that option:D

Maybe non-NAV MFT is missing actual hardware, like a GPS antenna?

Just curious, I'm not trying to get something for nothing...

Yes, it's a software configuration issue, not hardware. Due to the programming/coding that is required, it doesn't have "off-the-shelf" functionality. One limitation is that the module has some licensing that has to be activated at the time of build.

If we do decide to offer it as an add-on in the future, we will make our customers aware :)

Here are a few things, some of them are just basic structural stuff.

Thanks for listening and trying to improve these things

I submitted your ideas :)

Rebecca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, it's a software configuration issue, not hardware. Due to the programming/coding that is required, it doesn't have "off-the-shelf" functionality. One limitation is that the module has some licensing that has to be activated at the time of build.

If we do decide to offer it as an add-on in the future, we will make our customers aware :)

I submitted your ideas :)

Rebecca

Please add this in as an option in the future! It's depressing when people ask, "Oh you have navigation!?", then I say no, and then people ask, "What's the point of the screen then?"

Please add this in as an option in the future! It's depressing when people ask, "Oh you have navigation!?", then I say no, and then people ask, "What's the point of the screen then?"
I basically wanted the large screen for the backup camera display.

I basically wanted the large screen for the backup camera display.

Damn, that's actually a good response. I love the backup camera in this car. Saved me from running over my little sisters bike.

Damn, that's actually a good response. I love the backup camera in this car. Saved me from running over my little sisters bike.

LOL See! Now you have an even better answer ;)

Rebecca

well had they not gone overboard with locking out all the functionality while in motion you would have been able to add a third party navigation unit to it. Unfortunately no aux input while in motion destroys this ability :(

Just bought a certified pre-owned 2012 explorer xlt yesterday that has the 205A (I think) upgrade that comes with all the driver hands free and MFT options.
I think it is absolutely ridiculous that ford announced over 2 years ago that all these models would have the necessary hardware for navigation, yet if it wasn't selected at the time it was shipped, it would never be an option. I would have probably added it on if possible considering it's "certified pre-owned". Beginning to think I might have been able to get the same price on a brand new one with all the extras.

From their press-release: Starting in 2010, a convenient, upgradable Secure Digital (SD) card-based navigation system requiring no expensive hardware or “head unit” electronics upgrades will be available for all Ford vehicles equipped with MyFord TouchTM.

Seems to me that it would be a money maker to offer this after the fact through the dealership.

As anyone gotten anywhere with this in the last year? I guess I'll go searching the dredges of the internet to see if someone has hacked it. Seems that since its a computer, it would be hackable.

I love everything else about the vehicle and do have google nav on all my smartphones so it wasn't a deal breaker, just a nice option. Going to have to research syncmyride and see what other options I have.

Just bought a certified pre-owned 2012 explorer xlt yesterday that has the 205A (I think) upgrade that comes with all the driver hands free and MFT options.
I think it is absolutely ridiculous that ford announced over 2 years ago that all these models would have the necessary hardware for navigation, yet if it wasn't selected at the time it was shipped, it would never be an option. I would have probably added it on if possible considering it's "certified pre-owned". Beginning to think I might have been able to get the same price on a brand new one with all the extras.

From their press-release: Starting in 2010, a convenient, upgradable Secure Digital (SD) card-based navigation system requiring no expensive hardware or “head unit” electronics upgrades will be available for all Ford vehicles equipped with MyFord TouchTM.

Seems to me that it would be a money maker to offer this after the fact through the dealership.

As anyone gotten anywhere with this in the last year? I guess I'll go searching the dredges of the internet to see if someone has hacked it. Seems that since its a computer, it would be hackable.

I love everything else about the vehicle and do have google nav on all my smartphones so it wasn't a deal breaker, just a nice option. Going to have to research syncmyride and see what other options I have.
Welcome to the Forum nrfitchett4. :wavey: Congratulations on your new purchase.
Although I'm not positive, I would think getting Nav is more involved than making a software change. If it was that simple, I would think that Ford would be offering it as an aftermarket OEM option. Good luck.

Peter

I'm leaning toward thinking that it is a software issue Peter. A software and licensing issue. In order to have the Sync turn-by-turn navigation function, the car must know where it is, leading me to believe that there is a GPS receiver on board every Sync capable vehicle. Other than some software that can make use of that receiver, I see no reason that an MFT equipped Explorer couldn't have the 'real' Navigation installed later. I am not sure what Ford's reasons for not offering it at a later date, but my best guess is that it is a licensing issue. Maybe car manufacturers are only allowed to install map data during assembly, thus preserving the aftermarket for Garmin, Tom Tom, and the likes. I would like to know the real answer, but am content to know that I probably never will :)

I'm leaning toward thinking that it is a software issue Peter. A software and licensing issue. In order to have the Sync turn-by-turn navigation function, the car must know where it is, leading me to believe that there is a GPS receiver on board every Sync capable vehicle. Other than some software that can make use of that receiver, I see no reason that an MFT equipped Explorer couldn't have the 'real' Navigation installed later. I am not sure what Ford's reasons for not offering it at a later date, but my best guess is that it is a licensing issue. Maybe car manufacturers are only allowed to install map data during assembly, thus preserving the aftermarket for Garmin, Tom Tom, and the likes. I would like to know the real answer, but am content to know that I probably never will :)

Welcome to the Forum nrfitchett4. :wavey: Congratulations on your new purchase.
Although I'm not positive, I would think getting Nav is more involved than making a software change. If it was that simple, I would think that Ford would be offering it as an aftermarket OEM option. Good luck.

Peter

Peter and Vince,

Check out my answer above:

http://explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2809030&postcount=24

;)

Hey, nrfitchett4!

You can always purchase SYNC Services via SYNCMyRide.com. It's $60 a year and provides turn-by-turn directions. Here's a link to the FAQs on our website:

https://secure.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/SupportContent/SupportDirectoryDriverServices.aspx

Rebecca

Hehehe, thanks Rebecca. I knew the licensing thing sounded familiar. It's that fuzzy memory working against me again :)

FWIW. I am fairly certain it's related to the as-built data on the vehicle. Given that the MFT update packages are the same for nav and non-nav vehicles, my guess is that the MFT installation simply reads the as-built code for nav and installs/activates the nav software if needed.

As for why it's not offered, I don't doubt it is related in some way to licensing, but also the need to reprogram the as-built data, which is not a quick task.

No after market upgrades possible

Hey there....I bought a brand new 2011 Explorer XLT and was told by the Scheister at Lincoln Heights Ford in Ottawa that it could be done, he even sold me the SD card, but conveniently marked only the card on the contract. I have spoken to FORD several times and they confirmed it's all in the computer, it just has to be programmed.....but the cars are all LOCKED at the factory to prevent fraud from unscrupulous mechanics, and accidents from those not well trained and possibly screwing up the entire car's functinality by faulty programming etc. It has nothing to do with licensing.

So long story short.....if you don't custom order your car with everything you want on it from the factgory, you take what is offered to you cause it won't change. NOW...it was hinted that FORD may be softening their stance and making a few options upgradable like Navigation....but nothing has come through yet. If I didn't love my Explorer so much I'd dump the thing and tell FORD to go to Hell....especially the salesguy in Ottawa who knowingly sold me a car that Icould not upgrade....and FWIW, Navigation WAS a dealbreaker for me.....so if he dind't lie to get me to buy the car, I was going ot buy the Toyota Highlander.

I have to keep the car for another 2 years before I can trade it in with the least loss of $$$.....and I am not sure what it will be....a fully loaded Ford Explorer or Toyota Highlander Hybrid......I'm really torn right now due to the bad integrity shown by a Ford Dealership.

Peter and Vince,

Check out my answer above:

http://explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2809030&postcount=24

;)

Hey, nrfitchett4!

You can always purchase SYNC Services via SYNCMyRide.com. It's $60 a year and provides turn-by-turn directions. Here's a link to the FAQs on our website:

https://secure.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/SupportContent/SupportDirectoryDriverServices.aspx

Rebecca

thanks, I registered there yesterday and apparently I get it free until aug 2014. Now I just need to play with it!

Which dealer did you buy from?
Hi Nex.....

I bought my car at Lincoln Heights Ford in Ottawa. I bought the car in July, and fought with them until October when I finally gave up. It's the same place that was charging me for repairs that my old Explorer DID NOT NEED.....I was spending over $2000 a year on repairs, when I took it to another Ford Dealer, the repairs suddenly stopped.

Any how back to the Navigation thread here....I get asked all the time, if I don't have Nav, then why the screen....and also they ask Why is Ford locking down the computers instead of opening up an aftermarket upgrade option....I won't tell you what they say about Ford's decisions.....but they say they will not buy a Ford with that type of mentality.

There is another thread with this exact same topic and the answer is the same.

Nav is set in the factory, cannot add ANY component once it leaves the factory as the system is locked, and no plans to enable features in the future. Stupid logic in my humble opinion....they could make a fortune in after purchase sales and keep happy customers.

As it is, I am looking to get rid of my 2011 Explorer and not sure if I'll upgrade to one custom made by me or go get something better like a Highlander Hybrid or Mercedes or Lexus. The Sync/MFT has so much potential to blow the competition away.....but they are really messing up with buggy systems and inflexibility.

There is another thread with this exact same topic and the answer is the same.

So why did you dig up this year old thread? lol :D

So why did you dig up this year old thread? lol :D

Funny, I didn't check the date....I got an email notice that there was a new post, and I simply clicked on the link. I just reply to the emails that come in for my favourite topic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

adding navigation is not possible ?

Hello I am new to the forum.

I own a Ford Explorer 2011, bought without navigation in the Dubai, UAE. The dealer told me I could have added that functionality later.

After reading a few forums and asking directly to Ford Middle East, I realized that, apparently, adding navigation later is not possible.

Just out of a curiosity, I was bringing in the car for service today, and I started a conversation about this with the chief Engineer.
I was shown the module you can see in the pictures below.
They were installing it on a Ford Raptor.
The dealer told me that he cannot provide specifically the unit for me, but if I can get it "somewhere" that will be capable to enable the navi function to my explorer.

Returning to the issue that some customers are wondering if the hardware is actually installed or not. In MFT when you press Menu->Help->Where am I ? it actually gives you the position in Lat and Long and Altitude. The position is updating when the car is in motion, meaning that actually a GPS receiver is installed.

As you can see in the pictures the SD card was removed from the unit just to show you. That is the database for UAE.

It is a shame that a limited model, full top specs, is not coming with navigation factory enabled.

Ford should instruct their resellers not to mention that you cannot add the navi function after you purchase. I was told I could, so now I want it.

It is also a shame that all online services offered to USA, Canada and Mexico customers like Syncmyride.com, are not available for other Countries... In the end the car is the same, why would I have less services if I buy the car in another Country ?

So now the question is: where can I get that part ?

img1377x.jpg

img1375zz.jpg

img1374uw.jpg

img1373oh.jpg

Back