Towing into Yellowstone | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing into Yellowstone

Hello--I have a 2002 EB v6 4.0L with a towing package. I also have a 2000 Coleman Bayside popup camper. I've towed the camper several thousand miles with no issues along the east coast. I'm very comfortable with my vehicle and knowing my tongue weights to reduce sway.

I want to drive cross-country to Yellowstone! When leaving Cody WY I can either drive in from the East on Rt. 14 or the northeast entrance. I want to enter via the northeast. But on the map I'm noticing several switchbacks. On this trip, full loaded with family and gear, I'm guessing I'll be towing around 4200-4500lb. The truck capacity is 5680lb. My concern is the altitude and the switchbacks. Can my truck handle it? Or should I enter via Rt. 14 and take a tour of the Montana area without the camper?

p.s. I just got Torque and can read the oil transmission temperatures.

We went through Yellowstone back in 2009 with our Coleman Cottonwood trailer. It is a bit lighter than your Bayside. Ford states to decrease your tow rating 2% for every 1000ft of altitude. So figure your tow rating is going to be about 16 to 20% lower than normal at the top. The route from Cody is fairly steep heading into the park. We left the park that way and I remember a long line of vehicles slowly winding their way up the mountain. I would take an easier/longer way myself. Your Explorer should be able to handle it, just be sure to down shift and take your time. Watch your engine temp and if you have a temp gauge for the transmission, watch it. That will be the largest concern is the trans getting too hot. If weight is borderline, think hard about what equipment you have in the trailer that you won't use on this trip and leave it at home.

Back