2013 Explorer XLT Fuel Filling Overflow | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer XLT Fuel Filling Overflow

maple39

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
I was pumping gas today, and for the second time in a matter of months, I noticed that when I clicked the pump to get the last drops, all of a sudden i hear liquid hitting the ground. I looked at the filling hole and nothing. I then looked under my car, only to see where gas had come out and spilled onto the ground. Has this happened to anyone, and if so, is it normal? I looked at a recall letter shown in another thread, and it doesn't appear that my vehicle matches the dates for those vehicles being recalled.

Any help would definitely make me feel better, as I've elected to call monday morning to see if I can get it into the shop as I don't want to drive my son in a car that's potentially leaking petrol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was pumping gas today, and for the second time in a matter of months, I noticed that when I clicked the pump to get the last drops, all of a sudden i hear liquid hitting the ground. I looked at the filling hole and nothing. I then looked under my car, only to see where gas had come out and spilled onto the ground. Has this happened to anyone, and if so, is it normal? I looked at a recall letter shown in another thread, and it doesn't appear that my vehicle matches the dates for those vehicles being recalled.

Any help would definitely make me feel better, as I've elected to call monday morning to see if I can get it into the shop as I don't want to drive my son in a car that's potentially leaking petrol.

Not quite sure about the 2013 explorer, but I know with mine the filler lines the connect to my tank have a fidgety connection to the tank. After driving for a while after I replaced my fuel pump, I could smell gas. I went to check it out and it turns out that the main filler line that connect to the tank and the fuel cap was not seated properly on the tank. I simply reconnected it and the problem was solved.

Again, I dont know if this helps you in any way due to the generation difference in our explorers, but maybe you could check that area and see if you may have a loose connection of some sort.

Good luck!

The Owner's Guide says to not pump any more gas after the pump has clicked off for the second time. If you are still trying to add gas you are likely overfilling.
The following is from your Owner's Guide;

Note: A fuel spillage concern may occur if overfilling the fuel tank. Do
not overfill the tank to the point that the fuel is able to bypass the fuel
filler nozzle. The overfilled fuel may run down the drain located within
the fuel filler housing and to the ground.

• Allow no more than two automatic click–offs when filling.

Peter

Yup, my '13 does it as well. One click is what I stop at now.

2013 Explorer leaks gas when pump auto shuts off

When I fill up at the pump I set the stand up on the pump handle and wait for the automatic shut off after the tank is full (as most people do as well). Then as soon as I pick up the nozzle to lift it out of the tank about 1/2 gallon of fuel gushes out from under the car, most of the time splashing on my feet/pants/etc.

This has gone on for about a year now and happens at least 1 out of every 3 fill ups. It is mostly just annoying but I fear it may be a bigger problem now.

I just read there is a recall for "FUEL DELIVERY MODULE REPLACEMENT" and when logging in online it says my car might be affected. However, from what I have read that is the problem...it does not match my issue here!

Anyone else experienced this overflow without topping off at the pump??

My guess is that it is a seal where the capless system connects to the filler neck.

I always go to the 2nd auto shut-off which is usually right after the first and have never had the overflow. I don't know if all Canadian stations have removed the ability to lock the pump handle but the stations I have been going to no longer have that ability. The locking levers were all removed years ago. You have to physically keep your hand on the handle.
I have moved your thread to this one on the same topic.

Peter

I always go to the 2nd auto shut-off which is usually right after the first and have never had the overflow. I don't know if all Canadian stations have removed the ability to lock the pump handle but the stations I have been going to no longer have that ability. The locking levers were all removed years ago. You have to physically keep your hand on the handle.
I have moved your thread to this one on the same topic.

Peter

Wait what? Why did they do that? That must suck, especially in cold weather.

That is why I always carry a pair of gloves in the vehicle in Winter. I even tried once jamming the gas cap in there when I had my Highlander and the attendant in the store used the intercom to ask me to remove it, which I did. Didn't want them to shut off the pump half way through a fill.

Peter

New member here. I read somewhere in owner's manual that you should also leave pump nozzle in filler for several seconds to allow fuel to get all way in to tank. Something like that. I overfilled a couple times and had gas hit the ground. Also just had fuel delivery module recall performed. Had a terrible gas smell.

crrobbins

I always leave the nozzle in for a few seconds to let the gas drain out of the nozzle. If you don't you will likely end up with some gas dripping out of it onto the side of the vehicle or the ground. As per the Owner's Guide, you should not go beyond 2 auto click-offs of the pump. If you try to squeeze in any more. you will encounter the overflow issue. Something I didn't have to worry about with the Highlanders.;)

Peter

Used to always in other vehicles I had to get 2 or 3 extra clicks during fillups. Have watched other people put gas in and get many extra click as they slowly pulled nozzle out of filler. Kinda scares me when they do that, especially when guy at next pump is smoking. That happens way too much. Explorer will not let me do that. I think that is a good idea. Been reading owners manual a lot. So far really like Explorer.

crrobbins

No smoking allowed here when gassing up or even cell phones. They'll turn off the pumps.

Peter

Do not top off, once it clicks off, remove the nozzle.. topping off screws the next customer at the pump.

Back