2002 Explorer 5-Speed shift knob removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer 5-Speed shift knob removal

FordSHO8991

Reaction score
City, State
Cumberland, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 5-speed
Hey everyone, I own one of the rare 02 XLS 5 speed Explorers. I am having difficulty in removing the shift knob. I have already searched the site trying to find an answer myself but cannot. I know older explorers and rangers you just pull off and install the new one however on my truck the shift boot comes up all the way to the bottom of the shift knob and also can't be pushed down either. I have also pulled the shift boot up inside out over the knob and there is not a retaining bolt or anything. To complicate matters I order a Ranger FX4 Level II shift knob from Ford and it's threaded!! Any input would be appreciated as I am stumped. Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shouldn't it spin off? That's how every shifter for any manual transmission I have owned was.

Since your transmission is the same as the older explorers and rangers ima guess the knob is on the same. It's pressed on with an adhesive. Look on ranger forums to see how people are getting them off. I've heard of using hack saws and angle grinders. Just cut into the knob until you can peel it off.
Is the fx4 knob really threaded? If your explorers like my ranger the tree is splined. I doubt there's enough material there to run a die down it. If that's the case you'll need to add material and then run it down a lathe (not worth it), make a new tree (eh), or find/ make an adapter that'll press on and give you threads

Okay i figured it would take some drastic work to remove the factory knob haha. Yeah the fx4 knob is threaded and has a retaining bolt as well. When I took it out of the box at the Ford parts warehouse I seriously was like wtf are you kidding me! Lol. I want to install it but unfortunately I am not a very good fabricator with that kind of stuff so I will have to find a place near me that can do this. The shift boot is discontinued and is in good shape so I don't want to screw it up somehow during the process either.

Well since you're getting rid of the stock knob I'd suggest you take a pair of vise grips and see if it's threaded on. You never know

Back