New explorer lets see what happens | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New explorer lets see what happens

apolsinelli

Reaction score
City, State
Coopersburg, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT V8
Hey guys, I just picked up the 2002 Explorer XLT V8 4.6. I have numerous plans for it. First thing that will happen is fixing the broken and installing leather seats along with some paint stuff. Next will be a body lift, then either custom bumpers or the real cool thing that you may not expect, The car PC, this will control windows locks(okay maybe not locks it depends on security) a few cameras music, data logging and much more as i see fit. After this a suspension lift(tell me what you guys would suggest for this?) larger tires possibly fender flares, stuff to really complete the look. There will be other smaller fuel consumption and comfort things tossed in along the way, as well as possibly a custom exhaust at the end. My goal is to have a great every day driver that is capable off-road.

IMG_20140820_174236.jpg

IMG_20140820_174249.jpg

IMG_20140820_174302.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like a nice platform; congrats!

I havent been able to post I a while sorry guys/gals, but the people who were doing the new carpet in the house bumped my desk and the monitor fell to the ground shattering the lcd. Now back in school and have the macbook pros they give us. So Here ya go. So far I have done: Fix the crack in the rear with bondo, the did the logos in black, after that I did the front grill and the 2 front pieces that are around the fog lights in black, then did the ugly grey faded plastics in black bedliner(ok half of it, its still being worked on).

Okay, I thought I fixed the crack, but after sitting in the sun all day in the parking lot of the school the bondo somehow expanded and cracked(pissed me off majorly cause I spent forever getting it perfect), any ideas how to fix it?

Another strange quirk I have found that I'm not sure why, but after sitting in the parking lot all day, in the heat, the wipers will randomly come on for about 5 mins until after I've driven a bit and I assume it cooled down. What could it be? Its kind of annoying, but not the end of the world and can be dealt with.

IMG_20140824_200518_zps750372bc.jpg

IMG_20140821_192512_zpse62fbc1d.jpg

IMG_20140828_194759_zps38b9a9bd.jpg

IMG_20140828_194807_zps39314cf1.jpg

Lookin good! I'm no expert on the panel, but I think the only real way to deal with it is either to replace it or learn to live with it. I've not heard of the wiper issue before, but it's probably an issue in the wiring or the multi-function switch.

Thanks! Also, I was told to try jb weld for the panel so ill try that and see.

Another problem I have run into is the transfer case seal, the one that is between the 2 case halfs, is leaking, how bad is it to fix this? is it an rtv gasket or an actual gasket? I need to fix it before it gets worse. please help

I like the look of the black logos, I may have to give that a shot. I'm in the middle of fixing some rust/paint issues on the roof (stupid Ford peeling paint), so I have some plastidip laying around to try it out with.

Its really easy to do, just give yourself about a 2 in boarder of dip around the logos and do about 8 coats going all the way to the boarder(otherwise it wont peel up easily) and let it dry for about an hour before you try to peel it. doesn't take long and changes the look quiet a bit.

I think the next things I am going to do(paint is done minus some minor touch up to get the same texture(will have pictures in a bit)) aside from the transfer case seal, is fuel efficiency mods. Electric fans, intake, exhaust, tune, oils, anything else you can suggest.

For mileage it sounds like everyone buys the SCT tuner and uses the 89 Economy tune...

Hey I've got a question, I was looking at my options for lift, so I see the 3 in body lift and bft spacers, I'd get 6" out of it. Will there be enough clearance on the front to run 35s and be able to go lock to lock without rubbing?

Back