Eliminating factory anti-theft system...is it possible? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Eliminating factory anti-theft system...is it possible?

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
From the posts i've been reading here, the anti-theft system involves the PCM and a module so if the module is removed does that eliminate the system or is it more complicated than that.
My reason for wanting to do this is that every once and a great while the anti theft system is triggered out of the blue. This past weekend I was out wheeling and it went off so I tried hitting the panic button on the key fob but the battery was dead. Luckily someone in our group let me use the battery in his fob so I could get going again. If it wasn't for him, I would have been stranded out in the desert for awhile until I could get a simple little battery.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my 97 just opening the door with the key disarms it, starting the truck will disarm it, as well as pressing the buttons on the door; also the batt is ~2dlls and lasts for like 3 years or so... wouldn't it be better to be stranded for not having the batt, than to be stranded for not having the truck??

FYI, setting the alarm requires either a door lock button, the door keypad, turning the key in the door, or the remote lock button.

If you would like to lock it without setting the alarm, just push the pin at the top of the door panel down while the system is not armed. I know that isn't easy to do, but that will do it.

Keep extra battries in your truck:p:

Really though you should be able to take it out. Maybe there is just a fuse you can pull so it dosn't work anymore.

Wouldn't that be to easy for a thief? on my GF's 02 the alarm (Ford, dealer instaled) has a fuse, if you take it out the truck will not start, it will not chirp, or sound but it will not let it start

OK, I failed to mention that I didn't arm the system nor have I in years. I always lock the doors by key. The factory alarm will trigger on it's own even though it is not armed and it disables the ignition system so the key is worthless at that point.
And yes Steve, fresh batteries will be in order every couple years or so if I can't remove the alarm...these batteries are ONLY 11 yrs. old, the original ones:eek: I do have another key fob as well that is still in the plastic.

jad2411, mine is the stock factory alarm or PATS system...horn blows, hazard lights flash and disables ignition.
I'm not too worried about my truck being stolen or broken into as it is not a daily driver, it's just my beater off road truck. The way I see it, thieves will get what they want alarms or not.

The alarm is set(armed) by everything except the door panel top manual buttons. Your key arms the alarm.

Your key is also capable of disarming the alarm. Please read any 98-01 owner's manual to learn the details of arming and disarming the factory PATS system.

The alarm is set(armed) by everything except the door panel top manual buttons. Your key arms the alarm.

Your key is also capable of disarming the alarm. Please read any 98-01 owner's manual to learn the details of arming and disarming the factory PATS system.

Either my Ranger operates differently than yours or it doesn't function right but from day 1 it's always been activated 2 ways: by hitting the the electric door lock button or the key fob then the "theft" light flashes intermittently on the dash letting you know the system is activated.
If I lock it manually with the key or the pin on top of the door panel then the alarm is not activated. Remember my Ranger is a 97 and things could have changed after that. Besides that, i'm not concerned with arming or disarming, the problem is that the alarm (once in a great while) goes off even if it is not armed.

I agree that if it is malfunctioning, I would want to fix it or kill it. If you don't find anything here quickly, I would suggest calling a couple of aftermarket alarm installers. They have to know how to deal with existing alarms, they may be able to help you.

Yeah, i'll do some more research on it and now that I think of it there is a guy here locally that is good with auto electrical systems so I'll hit him up. I have some other non related electrical work I want him to do, just need the money to have the work done. In the meantime I went to Radio Shack today to get some fresh batteries for the key fob...they got me for about 10 bucks but at least i'll be able to turn off the alarm now:rolleyes:

Nop, that only works when you're installing a remote starter, it allows the starter to, well, start the vehicle

Back