08 Mountaineer Tail Lights on 08 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

08 Mountaineer Tail Lights on 08 Explorer?

nramacciato

Reaction score
City, State
Westchester County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT
Has anyone done this? I know it probably sounds tacky but I was just wondering if any of you guys accomplished this. I always liked the clear head / tail light look that the Mountaineer had. Is it true that you need to do a bit of rewiring?

If you don't know, I'm referring to these:

520539660.jpg

May not even need to do any re-wiring. My best guess is the wiring is the same, except for the pigtail harness attached to the lamp housing. That guess is based on the differences in 99-04 Mustang housings vs 99/01 Cobra's which had an amber turn signal in the bottom of the housing; seems reasonable to believe that it would be the cost effective solution for Ford to just change the pigtail harness as they did on the Mustang, rather than have different model specific wiring. Track down a couple pigtails from Ebay or an out of commission Mountaineer, compare to what is on your truck for any obvious differences to confirm or deny my little theory and you'd probably be good to go and would be a plug n' play swap.

May not even need to do any re-wiring. My best guess is the wiring is the same, except for the pigtail harness attached to the lamp housing. That guess is based on the differences in 99-04 Mustang housings vs 99/01 Cobra's which had an amber turn signal in the bottom of the housing; seems reasonable to believe that it would be the cost effective solution for Ford to just change the pigtail harness as they did on the Mustang, rather than have different model specific wiring. Track down a couple pigtails from Ebay or an out of commission Mountaineer, compare to what is on your truck for any obvious differences to confirm or deny my little theory and you'd probably be good to go and would be a plug n' play swap.

slightly off topic.... even more to save on money they used those amber taillights for all of the Australian mustangs.... the tracker form attached to the window when I worked at dearborn assembly would have an AU in the trim box..... and the japan mustangs got folding mirrors because of their more narrow streets...

Back