AWD vs 4wd V8 Explorer.. Whats better and more reliable | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD vs 4wd V8 Explorer.. Whats better and more reliable

travlincub321

Reaction score
City, State
Portland OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
Ok, so I know how they are different...

I am looking at a couple differing explorers... A 2004 with 122k V8 Limited with AWD, a 2005 Mounty with 4x4 and V8 (and 120K) and a 2005 Lincoln Aviator 2wd..

Lincoln is expensive and they won't budge

I am looking at both Exploders hard, the AWD seems in better shape, but is it more relaible and does it age well??? Trying to find a good balance of everything, since I can't find a 99 to 01 V8

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Mounty's tend to come standard with more options, but you say the Ex is a Limited version.

I prefer the look of the Ex more so than the Mounty. To me, the Mounty looks like it's smiling from the front.

Though, I'd prefer the 4wd over the AWD. Reliability? Probably zero difference.

I thought all Mounty's were AWD? I know Explorers came both ways. The AWD is full time awd, from what I understand. The 4WD is not a controlled 4WD, it's an automatic setting. You have the option of low/high/auto, which if the system detects it needs power at whichever wheel, it puts it there. I have a v8 explorer and my brother has a v6 4wd explorer and a v6 awd mountaineer. His mountaineer gets the worst gas mileage of the bunch. If there was a 2wd aviator near me, I'd buy it in second.

My '03 Mounty Premier is only 2wd.

the AWD transfer case doesn't seem to have much issues compared with the 4x4. If you've heard about the BW mod that explains it. I have 155k+ on my 02 AWD mounty and it's still holding fine. it's ideal for my wife since she doesn't have to mess switching modes during winter, she gets confused when she sees the controls on my 4x4 jeep and telling her not to switch to this mode when in the highway at a certain speeds.

just a note that in AWD or 4x4, ALL the tires has to have a matching tread depth, so inspect the tires first.. if they are not even like the front is thicker than the rear then the TC is probably worn out..

My '03 Mounty Premier is only 2wd.

Sorry about that. I meant to say 4wd mountys. I knew 2wd ones were out there but believe those are pretty rare?

Me being in NY haven't really needed 4wd much. Just drive easy here.

Sorry about that. I meant to say 4wd mountys. I knew 2wd ones were out there but believe those are pretty rare?

Me being in NY haven't really needed 4wd much. Just drive easy here.

I see what you meant. I've not seen 4wd versions either, AWD, but not 4WD.

Have to remember, Mercury owners are more snobby than 'Ford' owners. They would be offended by the idea of having to push a button. That's the kind of thing they pay 'lower class' people to do. :D

Don't forget forget! A Mercury is a poor man's Lincoln! ;) :p

I have a Mountaineer but it's the old family truckster, I got it when my wife got a Lincoln MKX haha. Besides liking the look of the Explorer a lot better, I'd love to have the button control.

When I got the MM, I removed the 3rd seat for more function/carrying space. I also installed a Borla 40664, perfect sound and volume for me.

Before that, I had a Fairmont, Tempo, Aerostar, Crown Vic, and Focus. People complain about Fords, but except for the Tempo, they were all reliable.

awd is all most people need. 4wd is good for off roading, towing cars out of the ditch, towing things you shouldn't etc. if you need better traction on the road awd is all you need and is easier to use since you just drive and let the car do the work, no buttons and stuff to decide which one to push.

AWD WILL have vicous coupler problems usually by 150k miles. The only issue I have seen with the 4x4 models is the module is prone to taking a dump. I prefer the options of 4x4.

Ok, so I know how they are different...

I am looking at a couple differing explorers... A 2004 with 122k V8 Limited with AWD, a 2005 Mounty with 4x4 and V8 (and 120K) and a 2005 Lincoln Aviator 2wd..

Lincoln is expensive and they won't budge
Go lowball the Lincoln!

I lurve my Lincoln Aviator, but lurve the 4x4 option just as much, so..?

The ride is sublime - drove about 1100 miles in one day (it was a longa$$ed day) and while I was tired, I wasn't beat up from the ride too much either. I haven't owned an Explorer, so can't speak to it.

There are some frankenstein parts if you do go with the Lincoln, though. Too tired to think of any specifically at the moment, but you will at times find yourself at the Ford parts counter with the parts guy scratching his head. And beware all the parts stores guys trying to send you home with Navigator parts instead of Aviator parts. Otherwise, I say you will love that Lincoln!

Back