Should I buy 2013 or wait for 2014? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I buy 2013 or wait for 2014?

nimdivino

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm a noob here and I've been sort of following the threads for issues with explorers. It seems like the 2013 has less issues now than the 2011 and 2012, so that really made me at ease. But do you think I should just wait for the 2014? I don't need the car right away, we have multiple cars but I love the look of the EX for an SUV and maybe it is time to invest on a bigger car. (all our cars are 2 door sports cars).

I just talked to the sales guy and I have an appointment to "run the numbers" tomorrow. I will not buy one tomorrow but getting the numbers is definitely a step closer on getting the EX assuming we like the deal.

Also, any tips on purchasing a vehicle via the costco auto program?

Thank you guys for all your responses in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What I've heard is that the Costco deal- while it would seem to be a good place to go, doesn't provide the best price. Some are reporting getting better deals than Costco by just plain old negotiating. And if you can get a Ford PIN, that is even better.

To me, I don't know that I wouldn't wait- they need to refresh soon, as crazy as it sounds, this is a 3 year old design...

Hey guys,
I'm a noob here and I've been sort of following the threads for issues with explorers. It seems like the 2013 has less issues now than the 2011 and 2012, so that really made me at ease. But do you think I should just wait for the 2014? I don't need the car right away, we have multiple cars but I love the look of the EX for an SUV and maybe it is time to invest on a bigger car. (all our cars are 2 door sports cars).

I just talked to the sales guy and I have an appointment to "run the numbers" tomorrow. I will not buy one tomorrow but getting the numbers is definitely a step closer on getting the EX assuming we like the deal.

I was told that the 2014's are coming out sometime in May 2013. Thats what I am waiting for. My 2011 due to all the problems was given an extended warranty from Ford till 5 years or 60,000 miles for gratis. Maybe by then the gurus in Dearborn will have figured the MFT fiasco out. One could always hope.

Hey guys,

Welcome to the Forum nimdivino. :wavey:
If you are not in a rush, why not wait? When the 2014 models are due to come out the price on the 2013 will go down and you will be able to decide at that time which one will suit you.
I don't know about the Costco deal in the U.S. but here in Canada, if you hold a valid Costco membership within the specified time frame, you will get $1000 off the vehicle price in addition to any other discounts available.
FYI, my 2011 has been almost trouble free. One TSB (random wipe) done and one faulty right front sensor replaced.

Peter

I live in Eastern Washington. I purchased my vehicle at Tom Denchel Ford. All you have to do is show them your Costco Card and your price is $50 under dealer invoice. I also got them to throw in Mud guards and roof rack cross bars.

Since the current Explorer design came out with the 2011 model year, Ford isn't going to refresh the design anytime soon. The typical timeframe of designs are 5-6 years before a major refresh. Ford probably will make minor changes, if any, to the 2014. If you don't need it right away like you said, it might be better to wait until it's near when the 2014 models come out. You can save a good amount on the 2013 models. Plus, waiting will let you see what's available for the 2014 model year. Maybe the 2014 will have something you want the 2013 doesn't have. I believe right now there is a $2k incentive on the Explorer.

Sorry for the delayed response but thank you guys very much. I decided to wait for the 2014 model. They're probably not going to redesign this car but I hope they make it better.

I have a 2013, The 3rd owned EXP, and I will NOT ever buy another one !!! Good luck with whatever you choose, but you're going to need it if you buy an Explorer....best regard Plum

I have a 2013, The 3rd owned EXP, and I will NOT ever buy another one !!! Good luck with whatever you choose, but you're going to need it if you buy an Explorer....best regard Plum

I had a few issues with my 2013 that were resolved a few weeks after I bought it - one of the panels didn't sit flush, and the collision LEDs did not work. Also some of the rubber seals were turning white which I fixed myself. The only issue I have currently is the rear view mirror droops over the course of a few days. Also, I am not happy with the gas mileage. But otherwise, it's been a good car so far

I initially wanted to buy 2013, and there was this burnt oil smell issue and now a 2013 user reported about power steering issue as well. I'm waiting for 2014 model (hopefully they will make it better) or 2014 Nissan Pathfinder (not going for the 2013 Pathfinder since it is the first model year and hope they will add more features and refine it in 2014).

The speed at which they put these out I would wait for the 2015 models. They should be out by Xmas. ;)

To me, I don't know that I wouldn't wait- they need to refresh soon, as crazy as it sounds, this is a 3 year old design...

It is crazy to think that this is a three year old idea. I remember hunting for pictures of what the new design would look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I, too, would advise waiting for the 2014 models....

....but, then there will be isolated reports of problems with those....so you might be better off waiting for the 2015 models.....and...no...better not...redesign would only be right around the corner...better to wait for the 2016 model....oh, but then you don't want to buy in the first model year...better wait for the 2017's to hit the showrooms.....

LOL....(couldn't resist....)

I, too, would advise waiting for the 2014 models....

....but, then there will be isolated reports of problems with those....so you might be better off waiting for the 2015 models.....and...no...better not...redesign would only be right around the corner...better to wait for the 2016 model....oh, but then you don't want to buy in the first model year...better wait for the 2017's to hit the showrooms.....

LOL....(couldn't resist....)
I had a co-worker who was like that. Our pension was based your the best 5 years and there is always a yearly increase.
I retired 10 years ago at 55 with full government pension and he is still working and is 67.
So there is some truth in your post. :D

Peter

I would suggest to reconsider the choice of the Explorer altogether. Some of the issues surfacing in this model are potentially life threatening to the vehicle occupants.

I mean issues like the MFT malfunctioning is minor but the Steering wheel locking-up WHILE DRIVING and EXHAUST SMOKE inside the cabin are just unacceptable.

I would suggest to reconsider the choice of the Explorer altogether. Some of the issues surfacing in this model are potentially life threatening to the vehicle occupants.

I mean issues like the MFT malfunctioning is minor but the Steering wheel locking-up WHILE DRIVING and EXHAUST SMOKE inside the cabin are just unacceptable.

Ok, do you have any information on these issues?

You overlook the fact that the vast majority of the Explorers do not have these problems. Many are functioning as they should.
As well, when the issue with the steering occurs, it does not 'Lock up'. It basically reverts to manual, non assist steering. This may prove to be a big challenge for some drivers. As for the 'exhaust' fumes in the cabin, I believe only one poster had it traced back to actual exhaust fumes being pulled in around the rear vents. Most other posts complain about a burned oil or similar smell. A few have been able to get the problem cleared up the the majority have not. I totally agree that these issues are not to be taken lightly. Supposedly the steering issue was cleared up by making some small changes on the production line but that now remains to be seen with a 2013 model reporting the problem. It is possible it received an older steering assembly.
Just looked at cars.com and 10 consumer reviews produced a 4.4 out of 5 rating for the 2013.
I'm extremely happy and satisfied with my 2011 so far and may even buy it at lease end.

Peter

Ok, do you have any information on these issues?
There are various threads throughout the forum on these 2 issues. Try doing an Advanced Search in the 2013 discussion forum.

Peter

I'm really happy with my 2013 Explorer. I've had no issues with mine. When my lease is up, my plan is to lease another Ford Explorer. Hopefully the sport model will still be available then.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was at a Ford event last week, Job1 for the 14MY will be June 2013.

No idea of changes yet but they are usually released 2-3 months prior to Job1.

Back