Lowering question for guys with mono leaf setups - Sport Model | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering question for guys with mono leaf setups - Sport Model

Gregs X

Reaction score
City, State
Sheboygan, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
I have the monoleaf setup on my 97 sport, and when I lowered it, I used a 2" block. Recently, I was on EE website, and noticed they recommend taking the stack, not sure of the actual word for it, from underneath, and put it in place where I have my aluminum blocks. My question is, if I leave my setup as is, with the stack in there, and my aluminum block between the axle and leaf spring, will there be any ill effects, or should I get rid of the block and use the stack thats there?
Just curious, Thanks

Using blocks is fine, the method of flipping the spacer stack from the bottom to the top to use as lowering blocks is just less expensive, since you don't need the lowering block or the longer u-bolts. It also gives better ground clearance.

You would also probably not want to swap the entire stack to the top, as the bottom of the leaf spring probably needs at least one of those stack plates under it for support - the lower shock mount under the leaf spring does not have a smooth top, and would not properly support the monoleaf under load.

That said, the monoleafs are not that great anyway, and can also be considered a safety issue. Leaf springs work best when there are multiple leaf springs that support each other, and Ford cheaped out here and just used a thick main leaf with zero support. If the mono leaf ever cracks or breaks, that's going to be a spectacular failure at speed since there is nothing to support it and the entire vehicle on that corner is going to come crashing down.

Monoleafs might be ok for a lowered vehicle that never sees any heavy loads or towing. A vehicle that sees heavy loads or towing, or any kind of hard use should have the monoleafs swapped out for regular 2 or 3 pack leaf springs.

Back