Exhaust Manifolds/Headers GLOWING Red | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Manifolds/Headers GLOWING Red

Ponyman460

Reaction score
City, State
Jupiter, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 XLT
I was driving in my Mustang the other night next to my Fiance (who was driving my explorer) and I looked over to see the headers glowing red! i was shocked to see this!

I have done a search and have found that sometimes clogged cats will cause this symptom....but I am not sure.

I have the rear cats removed, and the fronts are still in tact.

The truck is a 1997 XLT with the 5.0 engine and around 5-7k on the new motor/ but about 180k on the rest of the truck.

anybody have any ideas on what I should be doing?

Thanks!

Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Either cat is clogged or you have an exhaust leak somewhere...combusting fuel where it shouldn't be combusting. Well I guess running super rich or super lean could cause this, too...

By headers, I assume you are referring to the exhaust manifold(s)?

How could you see them driving beside the truck?

By headers, I assume you are referring to the exhaust manifold(s)?

How could you see them driving beside the truck?

yes I am referring to the stockers...and I can see them b/c that plastic splash shield is missing....and my mustang is low....

Either cat is clogged or you have an exhaust leak somewhere...combusting fuel where it shouldn't be combusting. Well I guess running super rich or super lean could cause this, too...

well I know I have an exhaust leak, but didnt think that would cause this. The manifold is cracked in the normal spot, and I have not been able to get replacements yet.

I would suspect the cat(s).

Good luck ....

yeah, that is what I was thinking too.....but I hate to delete all the cats! from what I read on here most done reccomend that due to a substantial loss in back pressure.

yeah, that is what I was thinking too.....but I hate to delete all the cats! from what I read on here most done reccomend that due to a substantial loss in back pressure.

... and don't forget the air we all breath.

What is done with the engine beyond stock rebuild stuff? How does it run normally, any other symptoms? I had a broken valve spring in my first car, the springs were too strong, used, and one broke. The one header pipe got cherry red, and it had not run right since it was installed. Regards,

What is done with the engine beyond stock rebuild stuff? How does it run normally, any other symptoms? I had a broken valve spring in my first car, the springs were too strong, used, and one broke. The one header pipe got cherry red, and it had not run right since it was installed. Regards,

not much...1.6 roller rockers (useless) with upgraded valve springs.....but basically a OEM rebuild otherwise.

if runs fine I think....but the gas mileage lately has been horrid (12mpg)

I'd also see about the cats. They can be tested by most exhaust shops, they drill a hole and measure the pressure ahead of them. If that is going to be the answer, just replace them with a pair of universal cats, about $50 or so each.

BAD gas mileage is 12MPG...and a clogged cat could VERY well do that to you.

i agree with the cats but dont delete them replace them

12mpg could also be a fuel pressure issue, if your regulator is history and its dumping fuel then you are running very rich, raw fuel will clog cat converters and cause your manifolds to glow

I would test fuel pressure and consider replacing the primary converters, the secondary converters on the 5.0L trucks are not required for emissions in most states, check your local emissions regulations

A great exhaust setup for the 5.0L is remove secondary cats, replace with a dual inlet single outlet muffler

12mpg could also be a fuel pressure issue, if your regulator is history and its dumping fuel then you are running very rich, raw fuel will clog cat converters and cause your manifolds to glow

I would test fuel pressure and consider replacing the primary converters, the secondary converters on the 5.0L trucks are not required for emissions in most states, check your local emissions regulations

A great exhaust setup for the 5.0L is remove secondary cats, replace with a dual inlet single outlet muffler

I guess checking fuel pressure would be a good idea....never thought about that..thanks

Misconceptions.......

... and don't forget the air we all breath.

i agree with the cats but dont delete them replace them

OK, 1st this site's hostility to removal of cats, due to legal issues is, at best, hypocritical. I don't really want to start this discussion just yet, as I don't have time to do so properly right now. But, it does need to be addressd and discussed at a future date. For now, I'll just say this: Many of the mods who have killed cat removal threads, themselves have substantial mods on thier own profiles/vehicles which are just as technically illegal as removing the cats. This is just one of many points on this issue. I do intend to start a seperate thread for just such a discussion/debate at a later time.

2nd, there is a HUGE misconception that "our" motors, "need" backpressure. NO motor EVER NEEDS backpressure. What they do need is adequate exhaust gas flow velocity. Using grossly oversized, or poorly designed exhaust systems can substanstially reduce power output, in one of two ways. One is killing flow velocity, and the attendant scavenging effects. The second is excessive backpressure, due to pipes which are too small, have too many bends, or other restrictions in the system (such as CATS). While OEM cats have improved significantly in the last couple of decades, they are still, and always will be, a restiction which hurts performance. Ofcourse, that statement requires a bit of qualification. Simply "gutting" your cats is bad. It creates a big open chamber, and almost always creates weird flow patterns that reduce flow velocity and scavenging, and hence reduces performance. However, removing the cat, and replacing it with a properly sized lenght of straight pipe will almost always improve performance,by increasing volumetric effeciency of the engine ( just a big air pump: more out=more can get in=better performance), especially if it accompanied by supporting mods.

As for Al's comment regarding air quality, it is quite possible that a vehicle w/o cats could be tuned such that it actually produces lower emmissions than it had in stock form. I certainly don't want to pick a fight with Aldive, as he is a well respected member here, and he has a lot of great ideas and opinions, but we're right back to the whole hypocrit thing mentioned above. How? Well, several of the mods al has done and spoken of here are just as much a violation of the clean air act as removing the cats. Take the "custom" tuning for example; I doubt his Ex has been submitted to the EPA for emmissions recertification. I also suspect that, even with his cats in place, his tuning mods probably result in higher tailpipe emmissions, at least in certain categories. I would guess Nox, for one. Why? Well, to get the kind of mileage he claims (and I don't dispute), one would have to run leaner than stoich at cruise, and certainly less power enrichment. Leaner equals hotter exhaust which tends to increase Nox emmissions, though it probably lowers unburnt hydrocarbons. Of course this is academic, as even if these mods resulted in pure oxygen and bubblegum coming out of the tailpipe, they are still illegal tampering.

You can either cower in fear, and do what the jackbooted thugs of the government want, or do what you believe is best for YOU and YOUR vehicle.

So...... to the original poster, my advice is this: If it is in fact your cats, and you already have or wish to buy an xcal,etc... w/ custom tuning, then cut them out, replace it with straight pipe (disguised w/ the heat shields from the old cats), have your rear o2's and the associated trouble codes disabled in the tunes and motor along your happy way. (it should pass both visual and the computer portion your inspection process, provided they just plug into the computer,as they do here.) Buying a tuner is cheaper then replacing them, and you'll have better performance.

Or not.......... It's up to you
America... Land of the Free?????????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree with a fuel pressure issue or atleast a rich condition, the excess fuel is combusting in the exhaust being why it is glowing. there is likely no problem with the cats. I've been a mechanic for 10+ years and have never found a bad one other than physical damage. I say fix the fuel problem and go on with life, keep the cats I ditched mine once on my B II and hated it.

Back