1960 Dodge Dart Seneca Project | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1960 Dodge Dart Seneca Project

dart_seneca.jpg
1960-dodge.jpg
Here is a pic of the dash from the same model:
IMG_1124.jpg

The brown car in the attached photo is the actual car I bought. The green car is what they looked like new.

It's a beast that's for sure! I really like the front bumper and the dash on this model. If I decide to keep her my plan is to drop in a ridiculously powerful BB Mopar and have a hell of sleeper on the street:D When I say ridicoulously powerful I'm thinking along the lines of 750 - 1000hp on pump gas:burnout: A turbo motor isn't out of the question.

I'm hoping that buying the car will be more motiviation for me to build a detached garage to store our current rides. I will need the whole attached garage for the restoration on the "new" Dart.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That dash looks great! As well as everything else. :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thanks!

Welcome back:chug: It's been awhile!

Thanks!

Welcome back:chug: It's been awhile!

Yup. :thumbsup: Got a new position at work that sits me in front of the computer instead of under the helicopter. So I'll be around more.

Well, the dash is in, so, less stress now:thumbsup:

Yeah you're not kidding. Now I don't have to worry about the dash falling off of that jig I had set up to hold it. I had this unshakable feeling that I was going to open the door and see it on the floor one morning :(

Then there was the fear of scratching the hell out of it on the way back in... Thankfully none of that transpired :D

shifter.jpg
shifter2.jpg
glovebox.jpg
More progress over the weekend...

How did you refinish the dash? Is that just paint?

That shifter took a bit of backyard engineering to get it to fit. The handle was way too long and interfered with the dash. I cut a few inches off the shifter handle. The shifter ball is hollow plastic that's chrome plated so I removed the brass nut insert and ground out a grove for the shifter handle to slide into. Next step is to use JB weld to lock in. It's a perfect fit and you can't tell anything was done to the shifter:chug:

How did you refinish the dash? Is that just paint?

Down to bare metal, epoxy primed, bodyworked, epoxy primed again, high build primer, and finally SEM Hot Rod Black as a top coat.

finished_dash.jpg
Getting closer!!

When working without a manual it's easy to screw up on the order of assembly. I had the column in and out three times before it was setup with everything it needed... The worst part was a clamp that attaches to the lower column tube, and has a bracket that runs up to the firewall to provide support. I forgot to put the clamp on before I put the steering shaft and coupler in the column. Removing all that would have been a royal PITA... Since the car is not an OEM "correct" restoration and is more of a hot rod I decided to do some more backyard engineering... I cut the clamp in half, welded up tabs to the side I cut, and now instead of the clamp squeezing from one side, it squeezes from both.

looking great Rick!! Much better than anything I could have done!

header.jpg
headers.jpg
A friend came over to the house and built a set of headers for me... Man, that's not something I would ever take on myself. I have patience for a lot of things, but this isn't one of them ;)

She's alive!!!

Eight and a half months into my two month project and she's alive!!

Took her for a quick spin around the block. No issue :D Tranny shifts hard, OD unit kicks in and it has so much more gittyup than the old slant 6 even with hardly getting into the gas:burnout:

Sucks that all the roads are wet around here today and it looks like more rain is on the way.

CONGRATS RICK! She looks real sharp and sounds just plain sexy

Sleeper!

She's breathing through 18" Dynoflow "mufflers" which are 3" in and out and no restrictions :D Actually sounds surprisingly mellow.

It sounds really good.

I'd like to hear it while in the power band. After the engine is broken in, of course.

My 302's sound has mellowed a little as everything broke in - temp cycles and miles. I also added an "H" pipe - took the raspyness out of the FlowMasters.

Back