Oxygen Sensor Error code – PO153 Slow Response | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oxygen Sensor Error code – PO153 Slow Response

asokolski

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
Ok, first, I’m new here. This board is great, thanks moderators and contributors! Y’all have have helped me save almost $500 in just two weeks (break job, serpentine and tensioner).

I just bought a few weeks ago a 1996, Explorer XLT, 4.0 w/ 88,000 miles, very good condition. Its idling roughly, hissing a bit (MAF?) and CEL light on constantly. No coolant loss that I can see, no oil loss that I can see, a bit of hesitation or weak acceleration at speed when AC is on.

Autozone read the codes today:

PO153 – O2 Sensor – Bank 2, Series 1 - Slow Response

I know this is the Oxygen sensor problem. However, I’m unsure if this is a situation where one should replace the O2 sensor or look upstream for other problems that my cause the O2 sensor to throw that “slow response” code.

I spent about one hour searching the forums for answers and I hope I'm not bringing up a dead horse topic. However, the only concrete thing I’ve found is to replace the sensor, “slow response” indicates a sensor problem. I'm not one to blame the sensor, but think this might be the sensor telling me something. But I don't know what "slow resonse" is.

Is slow response an indication of a bad sensor. Or should I be looking upstream at another problem/solution??

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

asokolski said:
This board is great, thanks moderators and contributors! Y’all have have helped me save almost $500 in just two weeks (break job, serpentine and tensioner).

Just more reasons why you should contribute to the site and become Elite. $20 is nothing compared to 500

-Drew

Ok, more searching and I think I've got the answer.

Seems as though "slow response" with codes 153 and 133 indicate that the sensor is shot, or possibly the wires/harness is loose.

I'm going to change out the sensor tomorrow, clear codes, and see what happens.

A 'slow response' code almost always points to a faulty O2 sensor. Bank 2, sensor 1 is the upstream sensor on the driver's side.

Did you replace the sensor, and did it indeed fix it?

My 96 5.0 Explorer threw a PO153 code, bank 2 senor 1, slow response.
Where do I look for the problem?

I had code P0153 and just replaced 02 sensor on drivers side before the catalytic converter. I've read lots of posts about how difficult it is to access. Maybe it is on other Explorer models but I have a 96 XLT 4.0 liter and it was easy to crawl under the car and see it, just inside of the driver's side wheel. I had an 02 sensor removal tool but I'm sure I could have removed it without the tool. Access to the actual sensor is very easy. Unclipping the harness was a bit of a pain because I wasn't sure how to get it off. There's a small tab you depress then pull the harness off. The pain was with the new sensor. I bought a Bosch from Autozone for about $60 and you have to strip the wires on both sides and install some crazy contraption they had to reconnect the old wires with the wires on the new sensor. Once that was done I screwed in the new sensor first so I wouldn't twist the wires, then clipped in the harness and I was done. Drove it for 20 miles and the CEL didn't come on...so far so good.

My 96 5.0 Explorer threw a PO153 code, bank 2 senor 1, slow response.
Where do I look for the problem?

That would be the sensor on the drivers side before the cat. If your exhaust is good and the wire isn't bad it's a faulty 02 sensor.

1997 ford xploere sport

I'm having a bad time picking up speed . And I don't know what to do anybody out there van give me a tip thanks

(dead link)

Back