M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so got the motor pulled outa the 96 this weekend..i lost oil psi before i pulled it so from what i know a rod bearing usually wont loose oil psi because its a ""end"" flow..but crank bearing will,so there is no telling how many bearings or damage is done to this motor so its going in the parts pile.

plan is to use the motor outa the 94 as it ran fine before i blew the head gasket.so gonna replace all gaskets and use the new rockers/pushrods i put on the 96 motor.plus the lower intake,cam sensor and all wiring..hopefully there wont be any issues once installed in the 96 and i can get it sold fast to fund my new motor..the machinist said he would bump mine to front of the line the sec i say go..

my pops is outa town this coming weekend and i wont get the gaskets till friday so gonna be 2 weeks before i get the motor back in the 96..i still have some work to do on the 94 before i can drop the new motor in..it needs all new body mounts and gonna put a 5/8'' body lift on to clear my second intercooler.then dropping the rear 2'' and the front a 1''ish..till then stay tuned because that new motor should be done in about 3 weeks or a month now...

20150517_134028_zpskkbbrhy2.jpg

starting to pile up....
20150517_134044_zps8vbbblqb.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sweet!
Did you ever manage to make a deal on some Tom Morana rockers?

Sweet!
Did you ever manage to make a deal on some Tom Morana rockers?

no i have not..i would like to give him a call but honestly i dont have any extra money to be playing with..they would be nice and now would be the time to get them but doubt he will go for a ''test'' type of deal..also my motor was built and based around the 1.5 and 422 cam specs,i dont know how that would effect it,something i would have to call JE pistons back about..

you could run into piston to valve issues for sure. That and they are HUGE cash.

Engine Build

I am staying Tuned!
Cant wait to see the new and improved 4.0 with boost and two intercoolers!
Going to be bad@ss!

you could run into piston to valve issues for sure. That and they are HUGE cash.

Yea especially because it would destroy the piston,valve and maybe head..plus at some point I believe the valve size comes into play,meaning it doesn't matter how much more it opens it will flow the same as say @.500..now if it stayed open longer or earlier would be different story..but then you run into overlap issues

got the blown motor torn apart and man i did a number on the gaskets,worse ive ever seen...hopefully i get it rebuilt and put into the 96 red ranger this weekend..

20150528_105825_zpsajow6svv.jpg

20150528_105834_zps7d8uelwx.jpg

20150528_105840_zps56knysmd.jpg

20150528_105846_zpsmezjnksk.jpg

wow, a couple of cylinders. Impressive.

wow, a couple of cylinders. Impressive.

lol ill take that:D:D

yea was shocked after seeing the melted middle ring that all of them didnt show signs..the driver side looks fine,just those two.why just those two is anyones guess..head,block and piston all look good tho.

I keep reading that you don't want too good of a head gasket so it can act as a fuse. This way, the head gasket blows out before you trash the rest of your motor.
I guess this is a perfect example.

I keep reading that you don't want too good of a head gasket so it can act as a fuse. This way, the head gasket blows out before you trash the rest of your motor.
I guess this is a perfect example.

Thats why i built the explorer using the cheap red gaskets. It took 10 psi at 10.6:1 compression. .this motor took 12 psi at 9:1 compression. .so basically thats the limits for red fel pro gaskets. .the blue super duty i would imagine could handle little more but honestly i think its the stock TTY head bolts thats causes this. .

Head Gaskets

The pictures of those head gaskets are awesome! They are blown to smithereens! (small fragments, not the rock group).

Sometimes a blown head gasket can lead to a bent connecting rod.
Did all the pistons still come up to the top of the cylinders evenly?

The pictures of those head gaskets are awesome! They are blown to smithereens! (small fragments, not the rock group).

Sometimes a blown head gasket can lead to a bent connecting rod.
Did all the pistons still come up to the top of the cylinders evenly?
Yes and actually they all come slightly above deck surface which i didnt think they did,i thought they came flush..explains why our math kept coming up with a different ratio than 9:1....believe it was 8.8:1 or something. .have to look at my notes

Red truck is up and running..i ended up using the 94 block and 96 heads..the 94 heads had 2 exhaust bolts that broke off and i tried everything to get them out,then just gave up..so yes the motor is running 10:1 and its been running for 2 days of 87 gas with no issues YET...

Im just waiting on some steering wheel switches and may have to replace the radiator before i sell it,it has developed a leak..runs and drives GREAT tho,still would like to keep it but its paying for mh machine work on the blower motor sooo..

I think im gonna drive it for next 2 weeks then take the rest of parts to machinist and try and get a final price for all the work..then put it up for sale,which will also be payday and off week for bills..

Anyone wanna buy a red 96 ranger???lol

20150529_170243_zpsm9xllkav.jpg

https://youtu.be/1UsftCA7qxs

engine

Probably has a little more pep to it with the higher compression.
Shame you can't keep it, but the other engine is more important anyway!

It definitely does have little more pep but then again last motor was LITERALLY on its last leg..its a nice truck and being obd2 and ttb,i really wish i could keep it as tuning would be easier and all my suspension parts would swap right over..but i gota finish this other motor,its killn me not having boost!!

Sorry to hear about job, back, and motor!!! Also looking forward to the new and improved 4.0!!!

Do you have any pictures or info on your adapter between the 4.0 LIM and the M90 intercooler/SC?

Do you have any pictures or info on your adapter between the 4.0 LIM and the M90 intercooler/SC?

Its custom. .its for a GM M90 though
2012-06-09133922_zpsc54713c4.jpg

2012-06-09133906_zps0a3e585d.jpg

And this dual 1" intercooler gets sandwiched between the charger and mount
20140923_135247_zpsfet1y3sj.jpg

Back