1996 Ford Explorer Transmission Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ford Explorer Transmission Question

CamDJClimited

Reaction score
City, State
Southampton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer Limite
So I just found out by our mechanic that the Transmission Torque Converter is bad, and needs to be replaced. Would I be better off replacing the whole transmission? Or just the torque converter. We have our own mechanic we go to, so no way am I going to the dealer, and I could always buy the parts used. What do you think? The transmission seems fine other than the torque converter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, if it seems fine then no reason to replace it...

i suppose you're thinking is, while it's out, might as well rebuild/replace the whole thing, right? and that makes sense.. i suppose it really comes do to price difference.. decide if it would be cost effective to replace/rebuild the trans over just replacing the torque converter..

personally, if the trans has say, 150k or more on it, and replacing the trans vs. just the TC isn't more than double the price, i'd do it.

Hmmm, okay. My mechanic said he'd charge me $400 to install the Torque Converter. Does that sound like a good deal? I wonder how much he would charge me to re-build the whole thing.

400 sounds like a fair price to replace the torque converter, especially if it's a 4x4. remember to change the torque converter, the whole transmission has to be removed. it will also need new fluid. the torque converter itself probably costs around $120.

a whole rebuild would cost between $1000 and $2500, depending on what trans you have, and who's doing the rebuild. if you have the 4r70w that thing lasts pretty good and i wouldn't bother rebuilding it, if you have one of the weaker ones liek 5r55e or 4r55e or whatever, then maybe it would be more worthwhile.. i dunno

how many miles are on the trans? you're probably best off just replacing the TC for 400 bux and being on you're way.

How can I identify the tranny I have? And im not sure if the previous owner put a new transmission in or not, but if it's factory, then it has as many miles as the car- 135,000

How do i know what transmission is in my explorer

Why does your mechanic say the torque converter is bad? Many things inside the trans can cause a lockup torque converter to not work properly.

I have a problem with mi ford explorer and i am desperated first start on not going it all on drive just in second and while get speed i can move it to d but now is worse not going it all the mechanic told me is the selenoids i check them they are good to the test i did i am don't have way to go what can be wrong with my transmission and is just tree months rebuild

Type transmission

How do i identify which type of transmission i have in a 1996 ford explorer

95-96 - 4.0 - 4r55e
96-01 - 4.9 & 5.0 - 4r70w
97-04 - 4.0 - 5r55e

How do i identify which type of transmission i have in a 1996 ford explorer
There is a sticker on the drivers door. Look for the code TR on the bottom right.

I don't know of the 4r44e behind the 4.0 they only came behind the 2.3, 2.5 and 3.0 liter engines. The 44 is a for 440 foot pound rating and the 55 is for a 550 foot pound rating.

I don't know of the 4r44e behind the 4.0 they only came behind the 2.3, 2.5 and 3.0 liter engines. The 44 is a for 440 foot pound rating and the 55 is for a 550 foot pound rating.

After all my research, which was alot of reading and visiting many websites, I have found that Ford used a 4R44E in 95 and early 96 behind the 4.0 in the explorers. The TR (transmission) code on my door sticker says this with a T code. I am in the process of replacing my trans and have had to do a lot of searching to find one that will match up without changing anything. I found a 95 that has the same code, engine, trans, etc, etc. Now someone told me the 95 has OBD I system so I need to make sure this doesn't affect this swap.

I have a 96 sitting in the driveway with 272k miles on the trans, That being said I have put TWO torque converters in it. One had a broken fin causing a noise similar to a playing card in bike spokes. The other I spun the hub out when doing a neutral drop.

It is my opinion that $400. to drop and install a trans is a good price...

Back