• Register Today It's free!

Air Bag Removal

Kevin Kuiper

Reaction score
City, State
Eustis, Fla
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
How Do I remove My Air Bag??? With Out Damaging Anything :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pop off the covers, remove the two bolts holding it on and undo the connector, takes about a minute. Though it's illegal to operate a vehicle equipped with air bags with out them.

So The Horn Cover just Pulls Off??? And I'm am Not Taking it Off for Good, Just to Re-Place a Cruise Switch...

The horn button is actually under the airbag. Just do what i told you, it's real easy and you'll see the screws to remove the cruise control switches.

OK, So All I do Is Pu;; the Horn/Air Bag Cover Off... And It Should Pop Right Back on.. Sounds Very Easy!!! Thank You!!!

woah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oops,
First disconnect the battery, both positive and negative for ten mineuts prior to the next step.
Behind the steering wheel there are two covers.
Pop off the covers and there are tow 8mm bolts.
Remove them.
there will be two wires to disconnect. One wire for the horn, pull that, the next is a yellow conector, that is for the bag.
There is a tab that folds over the connector, pop that out and then lift out the connector.

passenger side, remove the glove box, by remove I dont mean open I mean remove.
There will be four 11mm bolts. Shiney brass ones you should see them easily.
Lift the bag out from the top.
The connecor for that it a PITA
it is clipped to one of the dash supports and you really cant see it, feel your way down the wire to the connector and pull it off of the support.
You will now have enough slack. There is a tab that goes down the center of the connector, pull that out, then push the relase to undo the connector.

How about install?

How do I do the install on the airbags? I assume the battery has to be disconnected, do I need to take any precautions before reconnecting the battery? Also, can I drive a vehicle that had both air bags deployed? or Do I need to replace the bags before I can move the car? I bought this 98 explorer and I have to go pick it up, both bags were deployed when the previous owner scraped the side of the car, but there was no collision, except for a long scratch along the passenger side and a broken mirror. Thanks in advance for your help on this.

you can drive them all you want with the bags deployed.
It will harm nothing other than your self if you are in a severe collision.

You will need to have both terminals disconnected for the reinstalation. Bagds first than module but DO NOT reconnect the bettery until all three are done.

I bought this 98 explorer and I have to go pick it up, both bags were deployed when the previous owner scraped the side of the car, but there was no collision, except for a long scratch along the passenger side and a broken mirror. Thanks in advance for your help on this.
I thought it took a minimum 33mph frontal collision to deploy them? I may be mistaken, in fact there is a VERY good chance that I'm mistaken.

But if what you said is true, seems like it these vehicles wouldn't make for offroading very well...

I thought it took a minimum 33mph frontal collision to deploy them? I may be mistaken, in fact there is a VERY good chance that I'm mistaken.

But if what you said is true, seems like it these vehicles wouldn't make for offroading very well...

There are pressure sensors behind the front bumper, when enough force is applied to them they pop. I'm pretty surprised that they would deploy after scratching the side of the vehicle though.

There are pressure sensors behind the front bumper, when enough force is applied to them they pop. I'm pretty surprised that they would deploy after scratching the side of the vehicle though.
That's what I'm saying, Last weekend I went through a mud hole that was trenched so far on the left that my truck leaned over so far that it collapsed my drivers mirror on the left edge of the rut, it was a pretty good lick. Arco777 was right behind me in a pretty much stock Ex and he had no problems either, much less air bag deployment.

Air Bags

Thanks for your reply. Actually you are correct, the picture from the listing showed some damage from the passenger side starting at the door all the way back to the bumper. The car was a DUI donation (more like taken away) and after inspecting the car, I noticed that the front stabilizer bar links were snaped like a cracker, which indicates some kind of impact from the front of the vehicle. My guess, the drunk driver fell in a ditch or something. However, I picked up the car from Minessota and drove it back to South Florida, all I had to replace was the battery and a local shop made a small repair on the radiator to stop a leak. The car drives great, the engine is strong and I am very happy with my Explorer. Thanks for the reply, I'm sure I'll be posting again as I begin to work on my Explorer.:thumbsup:

Passenger Air Bag Cover Removal

I am new, hope to be a help at some point,but need a spot of help at the start.
I recently bought a 2000 EB Explorer that is in exceptional condition, and am please overall so far. One niggling thing: I have a rattle that appears to be the passenger airbag within its storage area.

Can I safely simply pop off the plastic cover by prying it up gently in one corner then removing it? I want to just see where it rattles and pad it slightly and replace the cover.

...or do I need to go through the whole disassembly routine of the glove box & bolts?

thanks

TJ

is it necessary to replace the airbag module after bother airbags have been deployed. i dont care if the warning light stays on. i just dont feel like ripping the whole dash apart if it isnt needed.

Air Bag Removal?

Pop off the covers, remove the two bolts holding it on and undo the connector, takes about a minute. Though it's illegal to operate a vehicle equipped with air bags with out them.

Ok, I need to ask this question because it's not adequately answered - how do I remove the drivers side airbag on a 2005 Exp? I need to replace a cruise switch so I need the airbag removed to gain access to the switch. I've replaced an airbag on a Ranger before so I know the basics (disconnect battery, etc) - but what covers do I "pop off" to get at the bolts? and how do they "pop off"??

well like they said battery etc,,, on 98 on sides of sterring wheel underneath spokes there are 2 round discs,, plugs,, pop them out with small flatblade screwdriver, one disc on each side,, srews are in the holes

I am planning to sell my 1997 Explorer to the California State as part of their Vehicle Retirement program (for $1000), but was thinking about selling any parts not required to be on the vehicle before I take it to a salvage yard. Someone has expressed an interest in both airbags. I am aware that it is not legal to operate a vehicle without the airbags, but I will only need to start it and drive it 10 yards. I can do this after towing it to the salvage yard and can drive on their property.
My question is will the Explorer start and run without both airbags?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am planning to sell my 1997 Explorer to the California State as part of their Vehicle Retirement program (for $1000), but was thinking about selling any parts not required to be on the vehicle before I take it to a salvage yard. Someone has expressed an interest in both airbags. I am aware that it is not legal to operate a vehicle without the airbags, but I will only need to start it and drive it 10 yards. I can do this after towing it to the salvage yard and can drive on their property.
My question is will the Explorer start and run without both airbags?

Yes, it will.

Back