Cabin fuse box location / access

Dave_2011_bronze

Reaction score
City, State
Oakville Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
access interior fuse panel?

Has anyone tried to change a fuse yet? I need to be double jointed just to see the fuse panel. I could not get my two hands on it as there are so many large pin connectors to maneuver around in a tight area. I spoke with 3 different Service Advisers in 3 different dealerships as well as 1 Electrical technician. I got the same answer from them all. "We never had to do it, but I imagine it won't be easy". Has anyone looked at it or even attempted to access it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

where exactly is it? I know it's supposed to be below the steering wheel to the left, but I don't see any access panel.

where exactly is it? I know it's supposed to be below the steering wheel to the left, but I don't see any access panel.

You have to lie on your back and look up under the dash to the drivers left. There are no access panels like before. It is already an issue for me.

Its actually mounted to the outside part of the footwell, so it faces the center council. I hope I never have to replace a fuse, because not only is it hard to get to, but it's very hard to identify what is what.

It's definitely not placed with easy service in mind. You have to be a contortionist to access it. :(

Interesting. I haven't even been able to see the thing yet. And MFT just went haywire this afternoon and won't do any voice commands.

I called the customer service line and they guy didn't even know where the fuse panel was. Going to go lay in the wheel well and see if I can even see the thing. I'm wondering if you pull the two screws on the apron under the steering wheel if you can then at least see the thing?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s.

OK - so I found it. You have to lay on your back with your shoulders on the driver's side floor and look up above the parking brake foot pedal. Slide the driver's seat all the way back. Take your favorite flashlight along. The fuseblock is behind a plastic cover and sits horizonally along the sidewall. In the cover is a little pair of of plastic "tweezers" which you will need to get the fuse out/in.

And while you are laying there, enjoy the feeling of the driver's seat rail in your back!!!:mad:

Radio problem - fixed

dco43054 - THANK YOU!

My radio (and all audio, including phone) inexplicably stopped working yesterday. When I finally found the fuse box, all it took was removing fuse 29 (which was fine) and putting it back in. That caused Sync to reboot and everything is now working.

Ed

I've searched these forums and google and I still can not find my fuse box. I keep seeing "below and left of steering wheel near the brake pedal"... I do not see anything except for 2 screws that that are holding a large black panel together, which goes up to the steering wheel. I would like to pull the sync fuse in hopes of sync behaving correctly.

Thanks

I've searched these forums and google and I still can not find my fuse box. I keep seeing "below and left of steering wheel near the brake pedal"... I do not see anything except for 2 screws that that are holding a large black panel together, which goes up to the steering wheel. I would like to pull the sync fuse in hopes of sync behaving correctly.

Thanks

It's above the parking brake, not the normal brake and its mounted so that it would be parallel to the drivers legs when the driver is seated in the driver's seat. There is a black cover that needs to be removed.

2011 Explorer Fuse Box Locatioin

I've looked very carefully everywhere above both brake pedals, and cannot for the life of me find the fuse box. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Look at the manual book mybe the canaidian model has it in a differnt place ?? But in mine's it's in right by the brake pedal right above check hard with a flash light !!

It's not really easy to see, and definitely not as large as old fuse panels were, but it is right above the brake pedal. Grab a flashlight and lay down on the floor mat. :)

Volume on radio stopped working

Yesterday mid drive my wife reported the radio suddenly had no volume control. There was a weak signal but it drowned out at any speed. Neither the dial or the steering wheel rocker worked. I verified this with my key. No audio imput would work. The system worked, but not the volume.

After some contorsion I found the fuse box (thanks to this site), pulled number five which is for the amplifier, which was fine, reseated it and restarted the car. The volume came right back up.

I don't know if the fuse actually worked its way loose (and if it is even possible to have the radio work at all under that condition - didn't check, too freaking uncomfortable), or, if it was a SW bug and it just needed a total reboot. I know for sure the SW is very buggy.

Still, I LOVE that Sony sound system. It is by far the best stereo I own and I would absolutely go out to my car to listen to music. Unbelievable bass quality.

So do I have to get on my back and look up to see it? I still can not find the box... can someone post a picture of the box location? My touchscreen is now black and will not turn on and I am 100+ miles away from any dealership... thanks for any help.

Sort of. It's a b**** to get to.

FWIW, I posted this in another thread but I finally had Ford open up my dash to get a PN off the module. They discovered it wasn't plugged in all the way, causing me all the headaches with MFT/Sync. Once they plugged it in - smoooooth sailing.

I've looked very carefully everywhere above both brake pedals, and cannot for the life of me find the fuse box. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I've never found it on my EX either. I think it requires the agility of a trapeze artist to get to. Like you, I can't even find it, let alone get into it. I've given up. If you're trying to reset MFT I think disconnecting the battery for a few minutes accomplishes pretty much the same thing. That's what I do anyway.

I've never found it on my EX either. I think it requires the agility of a trapeze artist to get to. Like you, I can't even find it, let alone get into it. I've given up. If you're trying to reset MFT I think disconnecting the battery for a few minutes accomplishes pretty much the same thing. That's what I do anyway.

I heard disconnecting the battery is not a good idea.... However, since I'm on vacation and not close to a mechanic, I might have to resort to that.

Any other advice/pictures on where to find the fuse box?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you look up under the peddles to the left, along the side of the car, you'll find it. Here is a pic, a little blurry, but you'll get the idea.

IMAG0506.jpg

Back